Nice studio

This seems to be a great opportunity for you!

Three things come to me mind, that should be considered before signing a contract.

1. What kind of neighborhood of the town is the studio in? Bad neighborhoods might scare potential clients away, plus there is a higher risk of you being robbed/somebody breaking into the studio.

2. Why is the old owner moving? Find a convincing, good reason for his move. Something as silly as a bad plumbing, bugs or mold can become a real headache.

3. Find out how soundproof the studio actually is. There seems to be shops directly next to studio, talk to them and find out about potential issues about the noise you will be making next to them. Metal drums and guitars are way louder than some acoustic singer/songwriter stuff.

Those are just some things that come to mind, maybe you have considered those already. Good luck!

1995 called - they want their HTML website back. :D

2005 called, they want their making-fun-of-simple-but-effective-sites-that-get-the-point-across-without-using-Flash-and-Javascript-poncery-for-every-fucking-thing-just-for-the-sake-of-pretending-to-be-more-competent back.

Anyway, it looks nice - if you take it, give me a call for moving help.

Jeff

Jeff

I'd take that offer. Discussions about quantum physics AND help to carry the cabs! Awesome! ;)

Yeah I think it looks like a great deal too. Just check it out a bit further like many have pointed out to make sure to eliminate the pitfalls.

I wouldn't go jumping into renting a building without putting a business plan together. At the end of the day you need enough steady clients to keep this thing going. It does seem like a very good deal but there has to be a downside or the people that were in it wouldn't be moving!

2005 called, they want their making-fun-of-simple-but-effective-sites-that-get-the-point-across-without-using-Flash-and-Javascript-poncery-for-every-fucking-thing-just-for-the-sake-of-pretending-to-be-more-competent back.

Jeff
Jeff if and when we take ownership of the place you are always welcome to help with projects. And yes this would have to be a commercial business. me and my partner are going to have to talk about ways to make this work because there is more than just the rent....utilities and other cost...the rent altogether is $1200.00. $350 is my share and if the others involved miss their part. we are stuck with the whole rent. I have been burnt in the past with projects like this. but this building is studio-ready-to-go, and you dont get that often.

This is the same place/area as Melody Ranch/Tejas studios right? It's a decent area, I know the security measures they have in place are sound, our friend use to engineer at Tejas as a freelancer doing metal and stuff haha. Funny, walking in with metal band shit and the studio across the hall has a tejano project blaring :lol:

Sounds like a fucking badass deal, just gotta make sure to get the consistent business is all. Shit, with 1 band a month you can make your rent dude. With 4 projects a month you can make full rent in case your partners drop the ball. That's charging low-ball ass rates too. I think it's very possible, wish I'd have a deal like that come to me haha.

Whoah, it IS Melody Ranch... surprised to see them moving out, must be tough times for them because they have been around for years. I worked for Keith Harter years ago, he started at Melody Ranch before going out on his own. Although he's doing much better these days ;) If you can get it for that amount, that's a sick deal. They are leaving all furnishings and everything?

Fuckin nuts...

Still a good deal IMO. Furniture is no biggie, you can use cheap shit for the time being until later. Wall snakes already installed and wired will save you tons, money and headache-wise, although I would probably double check all connections and make sure everything works, just to be safe. I know you have that big Mackie console so that is taken care of, seems like a great deal all in all. Best of luck with it if you decide to do it.

I just made a dumb comment, thought $350 was the total, HA, oops.
But dude, sounds like a seriously good deal given you have the clientbase for an operation of this size.

Sounds like an incredible deal. Here in the UK unless you're located in "managed premises" the business taxes alone would amount to twice as much as that on top of the rent every year. Make sure you've got a good cash flow/profit&loss forcast worked out as part of a solid business plan then go for it!

Athens, GA. It's a 3br townhome I'm sharing with two good friends of mine ( keyboardist and bassist in my band actually ), though. There are some single room apartments downtown for not much more, and a few 4br that are about as nice as my place for $200 monthly.

These figures are per-person, though.

Fuck. I pay $540 for a 2 bedroom apartment (not including utilities, that have been averaging $180 this year). MY neighbor is kick ass though :kickass:.

I remember paying $480 for a 2 bedroom house in the mid west though, NY can kiss my ass.

Fuck. I pay $540 for a 2 bedroom apartment (not including utilities, that have been averaging $180 this year). MY neighbor is kick ass though

I need to gtfo of pennsylvania. I live in the suburbs of philadelphia and I pay $835/month for a tiny one bedroom. Only utilities I pay are electric and cable.