studio drawing

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
here is a drawing of my studio upgrade/addition I should be doing early next year (if building materials don't double by then!)

StudioDrawing3.jpg

let me know what everyone thinks about this setup.:worship:

holla holla,
Drew

I'm no expert but I would look into the concave portin of your live room... tends to focus reflections (the "corner" in between the door and the window from the control room. The socond thing is symmetry of the control room - you may not have the same balance from left to right - with the left (the deeper area towards the bar) having more anechoic characteristics then your right (closer to wall, mkore reflected energy)...

Well, floors will be concrete (but with various rugs in tracking room, and maybe carpet in control room.
I'm probably gonna beef the walls up to like 6" maybe, and do some double insulating and maybe double drywall as well.
And ofcourse, some sound sound dampening foam.

Seriously man. Cover the concrete floors with some hardwood. It doesn't have to be too expensive if you know how to use a hammer and a saw and the sound will improve a lot.

I'm not sure whether an investment in the wood floor would be a better idea then proper treating of your walls/ceilings and decent sound isolation of your control room (if you have too much leakage into the control room while tracking it's more difficult to actually hear your source well enough to get the best sound possible through the monitors).
I would probably save the wood flooring, leave the concrete (paint it maybe) and concentrate on trapping mids/low mids/bass and diffusing your highs.
Proper room tratment is very important and you cam make your own helmholtz or pannel absorbers for about the same amount of money. This will give you the option to control how your room sounds, you can even introduce some variable acoustics into your live room at that point with not much more effort.
A concrete floor will sound almost the same as a wood one since you're not building an instrument and do not want to floor to resonate. The characteristics of a reflective floor will be almost the same whether it's wood, cement, stone or concrete.

As a general rule for walls: convex>concave, control refections, provide symmetry, avoid parallel walls/ceilings at all costs - (which I see you're doing already).
A good DIY site is www.johnlsayers.com

Looks awesome!! Roughly, how much can one expect to spend on a venture like this, excluding actual studio equipment?? Construction alone...Is this some space that you are renting?? Or is it in your house??

-Joe

Hmmm. You could have some imaging problems due to the mis-shaped sidewalls in the control room. That & you haven't designed any bass traps!

You might want to configure the control room something like this:
Basic%20Plan%202.gif

Your design is a good start, don't get me wrong. But if you really want to get it right, go HERE.
http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php
There is a great deal of information on that forum about studio design & a very helpful community.

Best of luck with it!
-0z-

Add some tratment in the live room - or it may be too live, the Oznimbus diffusor drawing is a good idea - I would just make them deeper to make them effective over a wider frequency range. Put three bass traps minimum in the three corners of the live room and stagger absorbtive/reflective material on the walls. Instead of Foam use Roxul - 3" deep, covered in fabric for esthetic value.M it's about 30$/pack of 20 units or so. Very effective.

Needs closets.
One tucked behind the sandbox and one behind the vocal booth, with doors from the drum room. Still symmetrical, adds storage.

And on that note, anyone ever put louvered doors on a closet and call it a slot resonator?