Studio layout, thoughts...

RevoltStudios

Aug 2, 2009
I'm finished with a full gut job in my new house and have this space to work with. Drew this real rough drawing up so myself and my contractor can talk about options. Right now there's going to be a double wall between the CR and Track room, air gap and all. To avoid the expense of door seals ect, I have a middle room which is the bathroom/storage room. That will allow a more affordable sound transfer fix between rooms. Ceilings are pretty decent at 8 1/2 ft tall.

EDIT: Forgot to add that this is only the outer frame and doesn't include further treatment to avoid corners ect. The goal is also to build a studio that matches my projected income, not something that the cost is beyond doing or sustaining. That'll be studio build 2 in 5-10 years :) Paying cash btw!
10514673_10154417637590055_6777405342014529938_n.jpg

I'd personally swap - I'd rather have a bigger live room and smaller control room.

I'd say the opposite, always. You're gonna spend the most time tracking in the control room.

I think if i where to redo my studio i would probably build one large room + vocal both/amp room. Then track the drums in the control room. Drums for an album takes what? 2-3days to record, pretty unnecessary to waste all that space.

The work environment will be less then perfect for drums but after that's done you'll have a nice big room where you can have a sofa etc.

And yeah, contact an acoustic architect. Money well spend. If you find a good one you just might go with just some consultation and not CAD plans. I did, very glad i did.

I'd say the opposite, always. You're gonna spend the most time tracking in the control room.

I think if i where to redo my studio i would probably build one large room + vocal both/amp room. Then track the drums in the control room. Drums for an album takes what? 2-3days to record, pretty unnecessary to waste all that space.

The work environment will be less then perfect for drums but after that's done you'll have a nice big room where you can have a sofa etc.

And yeah, contact an acoustic architect. Money well spend. If you find a good one you just might go with just some consultation and not CAD plans. I did, very glad i did.

Huh What?

Yeah but you currently work in the smallest control room that's humanly comfortable, right? Look at his diagram - 12x15' (3x5m or so) is a pretty decent size for a control room IMO.

The single huge room + vocal/amp room is an awesome idea though, it's pretty much how the Machine Shop operates. It's kind of a pain in the ass to judge takes and tones that way but I've worked in worse situations.

Or rent a studio for drum recordings. Seeing that band usually do the recording by themself then hirring an engineer for mixing you can end up with a room just not used that's why i like the idea of big control room and vocal both thingy. Just speaking out of experience owning and running a studio for a couple of years now. Much more expensive building 2 good BIG'ish rooms then 1 control room + both

Currently doing a redesign ourselves, and i would definitely go for a bigger live room over CR , as long as you enjoy the feel of your control room and it sounds good, i wouldn't care about size to be honest, but when we start the build and get the rest of the money to got for it you guys are all in for a hell of a build thread

I tend to track a lot in a control room setting so room is more valuable there, plus that side has a door to outside and stairs to the upper area. All about the building it's in.