Control Room Windows

I find that Control Room Snow Leopard works much better then Control Room Windows.. less bluescreens you know! :)

(.. im sorry, i couldn't hold it in!)

What is the wall construction like between the rooms? One wall? Two walls? Insulation? Air gap? Find that out and figure out the STC rating of the wall based on how its built. You may not even need two panes of glass - 1 thick pane may work and save you some $$$. The "sound proofing" is only as strong as the weakest link.

What is the wall construction like between the rooms? One wall? Two walls? Insulation? Air gap? Find that out and figure out the STC rating of the wall based on how its built. You may not even need two panes of glass - 1 think pane may work and save you some $$$. The "sound proofing" is only as strong as the weakest link.

the wall between the control room and live room is two walls, and at least one of the walls is insulated. I'm not sure if the walls touch each other or not though. Not sure of the stc rating, but it's gotta be around 40 to 50. I dont really care that much about sound proofing. I just want an 8' by 4' window that i can afford, and cuts a decent amount of the sound out.

right now i do drums in the same room as my computer/gear, so i'm not exactly picky

from an article my boss wrote on our studio construction

Windows - Line of sight, not just sound
So you have built your air tight studio with a zillion layers to your walls, and all the right materials: Now cut big gaping holes in them for windows! That is the cruel joke of building an isolation room. But they are necessary (although I have seen a couple of interesting designs using closed circuit cameras that are interesting). First let's talk materials:
- Plexiglass - scratches too easily, you want to be able to see inside after a couple of years....
- Float glass - can be up to 1 inch in thickness - readily available and can be cut on site at most local glass places but not as effective in isolation as other types
- Heat Strengthen or Tempered glass - often found in sliding doors for it's durability, but cannot be cut once it is made - better isolation than float glass
- Laminate Glass - Made with an inner plastic layer (the laminate) between two pieces of glass which significantly reduces sound transmission - lab test have shown this to be the best glass for sound isolation

Before this article turns into a book, I will get to the point. A typical studio will use two of these pieces of glass, suspended each in their own frames, without touch one another. Creating an air tight frame is important. The more density and stiffness to the glass, the more it will be like an extension of the wall and create good isolation. In my study, angling one piece of glass may help reduce the sound transmission between having parallel pieces on one hand, but may actually increase sound transmission by decreasing the air spring between the pieces of glass. Before going out and having glass cut, which can get quite expensive, consider these options:
1. Sliding doors between the studios: If they are made with tempered glass and you double the doors up, this might double as an entrance as well a line of sight - better than cutting an extra whole in your airtight room since you will need a door anyway
2. Double pre-framed exterior windows. I was trying to finish my studio within a reasonable budget and so I found six foot long exterior house windows that were being recycled. They used laminate glass have seemed to do the trick. See the picture below. We framed each window into each wall and used black material between them to keep the dust out and give it a nice finish. You'll want to make sure the inside windows are very clean before installing them! A friend told me about a studio that had a fly sitting dead between the panes of glass..

RG studio run camera without problem;)

here a pic

The camera screen thing sounds good to me. I have seen it in use in a studio that didn't have adjacent rooms and it didn't seem that weird. They were using 42" plasma screens though.

That's starting to look like a better option now...I just got a quote for an 8' by 4' window with an STC of 45, and it was $3836 plus $326 shipping. Out of the question for now:(

anyone have any good recommendations for cameras. Do i need anything special to go between the camera and the screen? Like something that i can use to switch between multiple cameras?

Kohlekeller Studio

l_bf3c6ab1165b44818c8ead88af7ca944.jpg

Beast solution in your case imo

just an fyi, i went with the window with 2 panes of angled laminated glass instead of the camera/tv screen setup.

958e0314.jpg

65598ed9.jpg

at that point i was building sound panels in the other room. I'll be making a different thread with my new building's progress when i get time. I'm moving in this weekend:)

Brief noob question: angling the window panes is to help break up any sound waves passing through, right?

brian that is beautiful

thank you ryan:)

Brief noob question: angling the window panes is to help break up any sound waves passing through, right?

It serves two purposes. 1 is that it helps cut down on the amount of reflections. two parallel pieces of glass will have hella glare.
2 is that sound waves hitting it tend to reflect to the floor or ceiling instead of through the windown or back at you(depending on how you have the glass angled). No sure how much of number 2 is correct, but it's something to that effect.

Do you own the building, Brian?

Nope not yet. I'm leasing it for a year for $800 per month, then deciding if i want to purchase it or not. Fortunately i paid 6 months of rent up front, so i wont have to worry about it for a while:headbang: