Studio questions???

True... unless you play black metal. Everyone knows Black metal sounds best if it's recorded outside... in a blizzard!

Serious reply to the OP: As big as you can get. It's impossible to answer without knowing what room sizes you have to work with.

I'm not sure why people are flaming this guy, it's a legit question and there aren't very many threads about studio construction on here

I think its because the people commenting don't know the answer to the question. At least for me, (and I'm sure this is the scenario for a lot of people) I was turning a room of my house into a studio so I had to deal with the space I had and try to adjust the sound of the room with acoustics and make up for the weaknesses. That being said, I don't know what the optimal room size is acoustically speaking if you are building it. But I would think you would want a much smaller vocals room than you would a guitar tracking room, and having a bigger room as opposed to a smaller one would allow you to crank the volume on amps more before you got bad deflections. I don't know, I'm not an expert, but that's the way it would work in my imagination.

I think the biggest factor is how much space you have to allocate to each room and if your going to use a guitar tracking room for drums or other things. If it was me I would weigh the physical constraints like land available and amount of cash to build the studio first and worry about the precise square footage for acoustical purposes afterwards? This probably didn't help but I tried. :erk:

As big as you can get. I don't like the box concept personally (iso boxes) because anytime I have heard clips it sound... wait for it... boxy. I think closets give the same feeling. Personally whatever large live room space you have should pull double duty for guitars. If the room has to many early reflections however I don't like that idea either (but I would rather have a large live room than a small room).

Any yeah there is nothing silly about this question. A little disappointed the forum answered the way they did.

I'm not sure why people are flaming this guy, it's a legit question and there aren't very many threads about studio construction on here

Probably because the guy is building a studio, and asking a question like this might indicate he's not quite ready to take up on such a venture.

To the OP, it's not just the size, it's the sound, the shape and the materials. Building a studio isn't something you can just pick up quickly in a day or two. If you don't know what you're doing, I promise you'll be best off hiring an experienced studio designer.

Good luck!

+1 I love silence. This one time I was listening to this song and it was all nice and peaceful but then some guitars faded in and it just fucking ruined everything. Then there were drums and even some singing and bass guitar, too.
Luckily after some three minutes and forty-two seconds, everything faded out again and I was able to enjoy myself.