Suggestions on Studio layout

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
Well, come to be that a friend of mine just bought some celebrities old house here in Las vegas and we were walking through yesterday and found what we think is the perfect room for a studio.

The entire room is 28x24 and already had hardwood flooring. Our plan is to add a few walls and break out section for control room, lounge, guitar iso, and vocal iso areas and leave the remaining are as the live room.

My question is do you think the photo below would be the optimal setup for a room this size.

Main concerns are:
Is the control room too small?
Should we scrap the lounge in favor of a "longer" control room?
Vocal iso too small?
Guitar iso too big?
Live room too small?

studio.jpg

3D view
Studio_3D_View.jpg

Thanks

EDIT:

Added 3d View for a better idea on size.

i'd also consider possibly ditching the lounge, unless you think you really need another space for bands to smoke joints and play video games

that being said, i'd also cut out one of the iso rooms, which could make the control room a bit bigger, and build the rooms so that you don't have so many parallel walls. unless you're trying to track an entire band live at once, it shouldn't really be necessary to have one iso booth for cabs, and another for vocals...

I would just split the room in 2 rooms. atleat ditch the idea of having a amp room and a vox room. Its better to just use movable diffusors around when you want to kill the acoustic.
The lounge idea isn't a bad. But i dont know if i would have done it with such limited space.

And do it properly, if you are gonna invest hire an acoustic architect and do it right.

If you're making the walls yourself, don't make all the rooms these gross little squares. There are better sounding shapes. Maybe cut the whole room diagonally for live room and control room (with a bigger live room) and cut the sides of the live room for some iso booths.

If you're making the walls yourself, don't make all the rooms these gross little squares. There are better sounding shapes. Maybe cut the whole room diagonally for live room and control room (with a bigger live room) and cut the sides of the live room for some iso booths.

+ 1

You will appreciate having a large control room, trust me :)

ggstud%20copy.jpg

I'd go for something simple like that. Maybe make the control room wider. RFZ control room, no parrallel walls in the live room, maximised space.

Wouldn't the lounge area in the second design cause weirdness in the freq. response of the Control Room? I'd probably seperate it with a wall and use it as a Lounge/Booth or something...

EDIT: If you did the above you could rotate the layout within the outer walls so that the exterior door enters into the lounge, so the lounge then acts as an airlock as it did in the first layout.. just a thought :D

-P

That's a lot better, but if you can, convince him to ditch the booth, because you want parallel side walls in the control room. Also move the couch forward a bit, because you'll be using that rear corner as one mega-arse bass trap.