Suggestions on Studio layout

I think Ermz meant symmetrical. And, sorry if this was pointed out or I'm missing something obvious, why not just have the vocal booth in the live room? This way he keeps a vocal booth, the live room is still a good size and your control room will be symmetrical.

That's a lot better, but if you can, convince him to ditch the booth, because you want parallel side walls in the control room. Also move the couch forward a bit, because you'll be using that rear corner as one mega-arse bass trap.

+ 1

If you are gonna do it correctly you are looking at a 50-100cm thick bass trap. Mine is 70cm.

Perhaps you should split the rooms and make the control room slightly larger. with you looking into a wall and have the control room window at your right. I have it that way in my studio and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Like this:

studiodrawing.jpg

Thats the control room, the live room is at the right, not included in the drawing.

When i build my studio we lost about 30% of the original room to bass traps etc, so that is what you are looking at if you hire an architect.

I like the last one except I would put the iso in the live room as well so the control room is symmetrical. Way more important for a control room to be symmetrical. Live room it might actually help to break up the space a bit.

You really don't want a triangular control room like that. Go for a shape like Crillemannen suggested, and like I suggested. Your monitors should be firing down the length of the room, and the walls angled so that any reflected sound is aimed towoards the back of the room (hence why a triangle is a TERRIBLE idea). Do anything else, and you will regret it. As suggested before, hire an architect or at least discuss your plans with someone with a long background in acoustics before commiting.