Auralex Sheetblock

metalkingdom

the kinder, gentler me
Jan 1, 2005
Anyone have any experience with this? The specs say that it's 6db more effective than solid lead at blocking sound, so I'm wondering how true this is.

I'm building my studio (finally) next month, but there's a hair salon below my space. I need to keep things as "soundproof" as possible.

How pricey is it? I'm looking to soundproof a closet (I know, I know, standing waves can be a problem, that's why I'm trying to figure out how to soundproof well) so I can crank a 2x12 combo in it, at least to where the speakers really start going at it and the 'fizz' cuts down a lot. I've been told that as for floating an amp one can get good results from a couple of eggshell mattresses (I believe they're called) at least to start dampening the house-shaking low end, what would be the best way to go about doing this for a college student paying for gear with $10 a day worth of lunch money?

Jeff

James Murphy said:
float your floor.

And go with about 3 layers of flooring. Make a sandwich of 1 inch plywood & MDF: stagger the joints as well. You want to put as much mass as possible between you & your neighbours below you. That & seal every joint with acoustic caulk. It's worthless unless it's airtight.

-0z-

By staggering joints do you mean that (where - is the layer and | is the spot where pieces are joined together)

Plywood --------|-----------|-----------|--
MDF ------|-----------|-----------|-------- et cetera?

Jeff

Well, I'm not an expert, but...which one do you think will decrease any sound that's trying to escape/build-up?

|-----|-----|-----|........ ---|-----|-----|-----
|-----|-----|-----| *or* |-----|-----|-----|
............A...................................B

~006

No problem man. It's better to ask and learn than to guess and look like a fool. That's how I see it anyway :p

~006

yo yo

Our main issue when building our live room was getting rid of plane noise!

So we built another room on a floating (concrete) floor. I have a spec which might help you....?

BlackestEyes said:
what does staggering the joints do?

The purpose of "soundproofing" is to increase the isolation between rooms. If the main way frequencies (particularily lower ones) travel from room to room is by vibrating the common walls/studs. So, if two rooms share studs, the vibrations pass right through. Staggering the studs helps decrease the transmission of sound through the studs.

For the original question: I would think that floating the floor, walls and ceiling would be the best way to isolate your room from the neighbors.

I am in the process of building a new house and studio right now, and I've been working with Steven Klien (http://www.soundcontrolroom.com). He's not cheap, but he does seem to know his stuff. He designed the whole studio for me and gave me all the blueprints to give to the contractor to build.

If you want to go the DIY route then check out John Sayer's Productions (they helped Oz design/build his studio). I would strongly caution you not to have too many cooks in the kitchen - you will get conflicting advice from different sources and if you combine them all you could get very lucky... or not.

Matt Crooks said:
If you want to go the DIY route then check out John Sayer's Productions (they helped Oz design/build his studio). I would strongly caution you not to have too many cooks in the kitchen - you will get conflicting advice from different sources and if you combine them all you could get very lucky... or not.

I found the main conflict to be with Mr. Sayer's ideas and the book by F. Alton Everest. Then again, John Sayers designs project studios & knows how to get the maximum use out of your available space. We used his basic design, the "reflection free zone" control room & tweaked it for my space. I've been using the finished room for 3 years now, and it's a fantastic place to work in. So yeah, I highly recommend checking out his forum.

-0z-

Rick Powell said:
yo yo

Our main issue when building our live room was getting rid of plane noise!

So we built another room on a floating (concrete) floor. I have a spec which might help you....?

Hook me up, homey. Got any other pics of the room?