Kazrog's Studio Build (Planning Phase)

FORBIDDEN.jpg

Ironic word choice in error messages too, considering who linked me there :D

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
i see my msn name

Btw Shane, is 10x10 meaning meters or feet? I can't quite picture the size, cos in the picture, those things look like fucking phone boxes or some shit.
Maybe it's a tardis :D

These Summerwood "sheds" are also the same ones that SSL sells.

Wow, that's insane!

To be honest, after reading through the Gervais book in its entirety and doing a lot of thinking and calculations, I've ruled out the cargo container option and I'm back to Summerwood again because it will be MUCH easier to make the acoustics work right with a shed, and it will look/feel a hell of a lot nicer and roomier. The cargo containers are a cursed shape and it can't be totally overcome, whereas it's fairly easy to configure a Summerwood shed to be an ideal set of dimensions, put in decoupled walls and flooring, and treat the room with homemade traps, etc.

Again, this studio will be used primarily as a songwriting, guitar/vocal/keyboard tracking, and mixing/mastering studio.

Btw Shane, is 10x10 meaning meters or feet? I can't quite picture the size, cos in the picture, those things look like fucking phone boxes or some shit.
Maybe it's a tardis :D

I'm looking to go up to 12x10 feet at this point. Squares are bad, and 12x10 is almost a perfect ratio for room acoustics, and it will sound good once the treatment is in. I'm not going to obsess about it being a small space, no matter what I do, it will be a small studio, and in keeping it small, I can also have it double as a large vocal booth and amp room (provided I wear earplugs while miking up amps.) It will be larger than the booth I used to record all the IRs for Recabinet 2.0, for example. One goal I have is to take the entire Recabinet operation in house, rather than renting studio time.

For mixing and mastering, I will be A/B'ing all my mixes with my (soon to arrive) AKG K702 reference headphones, and I know my near field monitors very well, having used them in many rooms with varied sonic issues. No matter what, this move will be a massive upgrade from working in a spare bedroom.

I'm trying to keep my budget around $10k for the build, I already have all the equipment I need and I can do a lot of things myself to save money (such as building sonic treatment, having a hand in the daily tasks of the overall build itself, etc.)

I'm currently pricing mobile homes! :D
A friend of mine has a small studio setup in a stripped mobile home and is getting pretty good recording results!

At least in the states, sometimes older mobile homes come up on the Craigslist free list - sometimes in surprisingly good condition. Free, but you have to of course pay to transport it (which can be pricey depending on how far, but still a massive savings over getting a new one and transporting it.)

Mobiles bring with them their own set of issues and difficulties - sometimes the older ones take significant liberty with what most of us would consider standard construction practices - keep in mind this has always been and still is a highly fast paced, experimental market and they certainly aren't engineered with sound in mind. One advantage though is that in being raised, they are effectively decoupled from the ground better than most structures are intrinsically, although depending on how the floor is constructed you can lose a lot of sound through them without some significant overhauling.

At least in the states, sometimes older mobile homes come up on the Craigslist free list - sometimes in surprisingly good condition. Free, but you have to of course pay to transport it (which can be pricey depending on how far, but still a massive savings over getting a new one and transporting it.)

Mobiles bring with them their own set of issues and difficulties - sometimes the older ones take significant liberty with what most of us would consider standard construction practices - keep in mind this has always been and still is a highly fast paced, experimental market and they certainly aren't engineered with sound in mind. One advantage though is that in being raised, they are effectively decoupled from the ground better than most structures are intrinsically, although depending on how the floor is constructed you can lose a lot of sound through them without some significant overhauling.

I found a company about 3 hours from where I live who will ship them for free! Prices start at €750 for their mobile homes!

I found a company about 3 hours from where I live who will ship them for free! Prices start at €750 for their mobile homes!

Cool, best of luck with that!

My studio build is currently on hold, pending a few more practical upgrades to the property. I'll post as soon as the actual build gets started. :cool: