Help planning studio build...!

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
So, I may have the opportunity to rent some space for dirt cheap and I'm trying to plan out the ideal room sizes before I go to check it out tomorrow the realtor... Space IS limited, so I'm not expecting the greatest room, by any means... I don't have exact dimensions right now, but from what I understand, the space is fairly large. I'd be renting on a square footage basis and, while I'd love to go as big as I'd possibly need, I want to make sure that I'm actually going to be able to run a sustainable business out of it, before I rack up bills.

With my current day job, I'd be comfortable going up to ~400sq ft right now. This will allow me to be able to pay the bill, without issue, on my salary alone. I know... still pretty small - but considering I work in a 10x13' room right now, this space will be more than 3 times as big.

I'm wanting to set up 2 rooms - a control room and a live room. Assuming you could build two rooms of any dimension that add up to around 400sq ft, what sizes should I be looking at?

My room now is fully treated and actually works very well for my mixes, but I'm thinking I'd like to go at least a little bigger, to allow for more clients to fit in. I'd like to do curved walls, but right now, I'm just planning to treat corners and side walls with traps and panels. Should I actually get some decent business out of this, and there is still space available, I may eventually turn the live room into the control room w/ angled walls, the control room into a vocal booth and add a new 3rd room as the new live room.