Help me choose/build a computer!

Randyisgod15

Mikey B Nasty
Apr 15, 2008
New York
Calling all Audio/Computer Nerds and Gurus! I am in mental turmoil over deciding where I am going with my computer situation. I just graduated college, and want to get serious with building up a professional studio rig for audio and video production. This is my predicament:

I currently have a 1st Gen 17" Macbook Pro and a 1st Gen Mac Pro. If i take the total liquidation of my computer setup to create funds to start anew, I will sell my Laptop to my father and he will hook it up with some cash (generously I'm hoping). I put my Mac Pro here on the forum if anyone is interested. If all goes well, I am hoping to have around $4000 to use strictly for buying/building a new studio computer and/or Laptop.

I am seriously torn between Mac and Windows. At heart, I am a Windows kinda guy. I've had my Laptop bootcamped since the day I bought it. The only thing keeping me Mac conscious is that I REALLY like Logic. I want something new that will last me a long time, so I can focus on acquiring gear to expand my rig/studio. My issue is that the Mac Pro desktops are just very pricey to buy new, and I can build my own Windows desktop for much less. I am just on the fence and it is a very big decision. Any input/advice on this issue is much appreciated.

Now if I go Windows, there are a bajillion different ways to customize it. My main concern is whether to order one from Rain Recording or build it myself. I've built computers before, and have very tech savvy friends, but they are not well versed in the specific needs for audio/video production. If I build, I am leaning towards the Intel I series processors, but am not sure how far to go without being overkill and/or blasting my budget to hell. Any suggestions for specific parts that would cater to audio/video needs would help me a lot.

Alright, enough yapping endlessly, I would be eternally grateful for any help and advice that you guys can offer me. I am stuck in an infinite loop, and I am horribly indecisive by nature. Give me that push I need!

You could always build a computer with one drive for Windows and another for OSX. Just pick parts for the PC that would be Hackintosh compatible, and then you can have the best of both worlds. I sort of want to do this, but I don't have the cash or dire need right now.

You could always build a computer with one drive for Windows and another for OSX. Just pick parts for the PC that would be Hackintosh compatible, and then you can have the best of both worlds. I sort of want to do this, but I don't have the cash or dire need right now.

+1

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (core i7 board) with an I7 920 or 930 and your almost set; they hackintosh almost as easy as installing OSX on a mac.