Going from Garage to Mixing Room

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
I am curious about the noticeable changes from experienced users who have gone from Garage or bedroom recording to a more professional environment that is properly tuned and or accousticaly treated for mixing audio.

I have recorded in bedrooms and more recently moved into a garage. The garage is about 10x16 and has insulated and finished walls and ceiling with carpeted concrete floor. My recording desk is in the center about a foot from the wall, with a couch behind my chair and a vocal booth to the side.

I use a 100 foot snake that goes to another detached garage with an 8x12 office to record drums and guitars in.

I know that the rooms reflections and such can cause lots of inaccuracy in what the mixing engineer is hearing.

Occassionally I might get a little too much low end or too much high end on a Test mix played in a Car and then go back and fix it.

But lately with more experience and routine recording the consistency has been better with mixes.

I'm just wondering how much improvement I will see in my mixes by actually building a room that is tuned and treated for mixing/mastering audio?

I'd like to hear anyones experiences who have made that move.

I am wondering if its something that can stay on the back burner or if I will have tremedously possitive results and should really push for accomplishing this goal?

Im getting to the point where I am competing with standards of a local studio that has produced some solid demos but has also done professional albums for a Nuclear Blast artist. Equipment wise we are comparable. Experience wise, they got me there but I am constantly working on that. Studio wise Im in a garage, they have a facility with special rooms for recording and listening. I am looking to get better clarity and quality and I am wondering if its still just more experience needed or if quality of listening environment will help me get that much closer since it seems pretty important to accurately hear whats going on in the sounds of the instruments and the mix as a whole.

Hopefully I am making sense.

With enough "time in" you can "get used" to the room you have, but as TheDude says, a proper treatment will make things easier.

...kinda like monitors - you can get used to lower-end ones and make sonic adjustments based on testing/experience, but better monitors eliminate a lot of the guesswork ...and pick up shit you didn't hear with the shitty monitors.

Same thing with rooms and room treatment.

Do some research and d othe work yourself, that way you can save money and do it on your own time. With the money saved you could also work on your recording room, which will also yield better results.

Garage demos can sound good. The question is how good you want them to sound. If you've committed yourself to recording music (or whatever else, for that matter), go for the best. I'm born in a country where a lot of people try to save money from all kinds of stuff, so it took me time to realise that in many cases you just get what you've paid for. Sure, you can cut some corners and get great results but sometimes it's just not worth the extra efforts you have to spend later.

listen to some referance material while your setting up so your ears get accustomed to the room

I have just recently constructed 8 acoustic panels (4 4" and 4 2") and right now I have only 5 of them up and I can already tell a huge difference from my monitors. Everything is more clear, and the most noticeable thing is how the low end sounds, I can finally hear it, haha. I was about to upgrade my monitors before I decided to treat the room and I am glad I am waiting, the treatment is bringing more out of my monitors then I knew was there, I am extremely pleased.