My studio build - detached garage (big pics)

mark.james

Sep 26, 2008
Sorry in advance for the huge pictures. :yow:

I've almost finished building my studio in my detached garage. I thought I'd share a few pics, but they're nothing special.

First I sealed the garage door shut with plywood and used spray foam to make sure it was completely sealed.

h7j8l4

Next, I pulled the drywall off of the walls to reveal some crazy framing and installed Whisper Clips.

mf52us

Hat channel clips into the to whisperclips. I nailed 2"x4" to the plywood that sealed the garage door for framing.

dz59a1

Drywall screws directly into the hat channel.

0xr6xu

I used two layers of 5/8" drywall staggered. (First layer horizontal, second layer vertical). One bottle of Green Glue for each sheet of the second layer of drywall.

I also sealed around the entire first layer of drywall with SilenSeal and both layers of drywall are sitting on Sound Isolation Stripping.

After the drywall it was time for the laminate floor to go in. Here is the floor in the boxes still (in the bathroom of the garage).

vckrqf

Two of my friends helping me install the floor. We put down a moisture barrier over the concrete and then a layer of foam before putting the floor down.

1w0uxv

We've put up two coats of paint and are ready to start treating the room before the gear moves in. I put a set of powered monitors in the studio and used my db meter to get 110db of music going.
I was unable to hear the music outside at all. If I put my ear against the outer wall I can hear the bass. There is a decent amount of ambient noise around my house, so that also helps with
the amount of sound coming out of the studio.

I'll update with more pics during treatment and moving in the gear if anyone is interested.

Mark

Hey guys, I resized the pics.... The space is 19' x 11' and the ceiling is ~8' tall. I've spent around $1500 on supplies: drywall, tools, paint, all of the sound isolation stuff, floor, etc. etc.

Thanks for the compliments!

^ size of the space, how much you've spent and how long its taken would be really good to know. Looking very nice.

It's taken way longer than I would have liked it to, but I've never done any construction before in my life. I have two friends helping me, and if we had worked straight through it may have taken us a 5 days for the actual labor. But money was a limiting factor so it has taken months....

I've been mulling over the idea of finishing my detached garage for audio, but the work and cost is daunting. My space is around 20x26, though.

Mark, when you covered the garage door opening, what did you do to the outside of the building? Did you have to do any other modifications/repairs to the outside structure to get it ready for the interior work?

My garage is at least 15-20 years old, and I'd need to do some repair and finishing work to the outside to prep it for true all weather use. It's basically nothing more than my lawnmower and snowblower storage, limited insulation and no ceiling (you can see the roof OSB from inside the garage).