Approaching my own home studio build - need your help!

FrancescoFiligoi

Count Blastula
Nov 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Hey all! I don't post that often on here, but always lurk and find plenty of helpful and informative posts. Hope to be more present in the future though :)

Anyway, I'm going to relocate in a year more or less, and planning on build my small home recording studio in what will be the basement.

This is how it will be (in metres):
studio.png

I know it's just a room, but will serve my purpose.

I obviously need a desk with monitors, racks etc, my guitars, but also a Roland TD-20 kit, and maybe build a small vocal booth. I will not track acoustic drums in it, but I could use the vocal booth to record guitar cabs too.

How would you place all that stuff, based on window and door position? I was thinking upper left corner for the booth, lower side for desk and guitars, and upper side for Roland drums.

But even more important that that is, I need the room to be acoustically treated and soundproofed.
I'm planning to put two layers of rockwool and then some drywall to cover it around the walls, do I need it on the ceiling too? This is what I'm talking about btw:
mamz.jpg

The floor will most probably be concrete, do I have to cover it with wood or anything else to make the room resonate better?

Soundproofing: I guess I must build a door with no air or gaps underneath, correct?
What about the window, does anyone of you have any experience about special glasses or something that can contain as much SPL as possible?

Acoustic treatment: I've read lots of articles about traps and absorbers and planning on purchasing some stuff (from GIK Acoustics most probably), but in your opinion would I need diffusers? If yes, where would you place them?
What to put on the ceiling, too?

Vocal booth: given that it's a relatively small room and it will be decently treated, would it be THAT better to build a vocal booth? One option would be building a small one and isolate it from the rest like a "room in the room", the other option would be just using some stuff like RealTraps vocal booth or SE Reflexion Filter. Although in the last case bleed from my monitors would most probably be captured by the mic and I'd have to put headphones during tracking sessions...is there an alternative?

If it can help, I will use this studio mainly for recording my project and band, but also for others.

I'm currently using an iMac 27", KRK VXT6 monitors and Axe Fx II to track guitars and bass. Other stuff I'm willing to buy to help me "reach the next step" would be SM7B (plus maybe one other mic for cleans), API A2D, Event Opals, RME Fireface UFX, and of course a nice desk and chair :)

Am I missing something else, something really important? Too much to think about, there must be something missing...

Anyway, I think that's all, sorry for the long post and hope to receive some helpful answers, thanks in advance!

I'd definitely give the vocal booth a miss - to build a decent one with enough isolation you're going to take up half your room.

Grab a pair of headphones and a duvet and save yourself the pain.

xTomx's advice is definetley the simpliest solution :)
But to track instruments, you'll need something more.

You don't need a wooden floor. Just take care of ceiling. You'd be amazed how big difference would be there with treated ceiling - you could leave the floor bare, which is good for natural ambiance (especially for acoustic guitar).
But first, treat the flutter echoes and make/buy some bass traps (though with recording, acoustics are quite easier to "omit" as you always can move the mic to the place where it sounds best). Vocal booth is a bad idea in such small place (but check out things called whisper rooms). So are the diffusers for they need some distance to work properly.

I suggest visiting some forums about room treatment, such as gearslutz or John Sayers forum (the latter is a solid piece of information!).
I dont know very much about soundproofing... I think that you should ask on some of the forums mentioned above, as people there could precisely help you, and give you advice that would work in your room.

Keep in mind that, as once someone said,:
"to treat the room properly, take the amount of money you have, multiply it by random number between 2 and 9, then add a 0 at the end for the good start". Its somehow exaggerated, but i think you get the point.

Cheers :)