Help me branch out

HEV_tux

New Metal Member
Aug 22, 2009
So i like alot of metal, but really everything i like is mostly mainstream and i know from experience of other genres that the really good stuff is underground, could somebody give me examples of bands that they like? the genres/bands i like now are

-Heavy Metal
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden (i unbelievably love them)
Metallica
Joe Satriani (arguably metal)

-Power Metal
Angra
Dragonforce (to some extent)

-Black Metal
Gorgoroth
Krypt

-Thrash Metal
Slayer

-Death metal
Nevermore

-Alternative Metal
Swans

-Nu Metal
Slipknot (to some extent)

Thanks

-Death metal
Nevermore
blank_stare1.jpg

So i like alot of metal, but really everything i like is mostly mainstream and i know from experience of other genres that the really good stuff is underground, could somebody give me examples of bands that they like? the genres/bands i like now are

Go into the "Band Recommendations" thread and peruse it. Tons and tons of good recs. And welcome.

heavy metal most likely.

Also, Swans aren't really metal, even though they are awesome

But check around the forums.

For thrash, check out Kreator, Sodom and Destruction.

Also, I see a disturbing lack of Judas Priest under heavy metal. Get Stained Class and Sad Wings of Destiny. Check out Manowar and Manilla Road as well. Also, Blind Guardian and early Helloween are essential for power metal.

If you're interested in black metal, check out the 2nd wave classics like Darkthrone, Burzum, Emperor, Mayhem, etc. And check out some 1st wave stuff like Venom, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, early Sodom, and Mercyful Fate.

Black Metal:
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites + Rebellion EP
Naglfar - Harvest
Wyrd - The Ghost Album
Sad Legend - Sad Legend
Cryptic Wintermoon - The Age of Cataclysm

Heavy Metal:
Nightingale - Invisible
Scissorfight - Mantrapping For Sport And Profit
Sinner - Nature of Evil
Bolt Thrower - Mercenary

-Heavy Metal
Motorhead
Helloween
Mercyful Fate
Judas Priest
Satan

-Black Metal
Darkthrone
Immortal
Burzum
Dissection
Mayhem
Venom

-Thrash Metal
Kreator
Sodom
Megadeth
Destruction
Exumer
Testament

-Death metal
Death
Morbid Angel
Dismember
Pestilence
Carnage
Unleashed
Grave
Amorphis
Depravity
Gorement

Early albums from all recommendations are best. These are just a few to help you out.

-Black Metal
Gorgoroth
Krypt

Go listen to Burzum. Then Mayhem, Bathory and Venom. Now!

Also, try Immolation (death), Incantation (death), Vital Remains (death), Deathspell Omega (black), Morbid Saint (thrash), Dead Congregation (death) and Dark Moor (power).

Arkhon Infaustus
Amok
Mysticum
Aborym
Blacklodge
Neo Inferno 262
Funeral Mist
Abigor
HELEL
Negative Plane
Carcass
Impaled
Beherit

I think it is odd the only recs getting put out in this thread seem to be the less "accessible" bands, with the exception of nine's recs. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal definitely needs to be in the Death Metal list.

I think it is odd the only recs getting put out in this thread seem to be the less "accessible" bands, with the exception of nine's recs. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal definitely needs to be in the Death Metal list.

I tried to keep my recs on the accessible side.

Arkhon Infaustus
Amok
Mysticum
Aborym
Blacklodge
Neo Inferno 262
Funeral Mist
Abigor
HELEL
Negative Plane
Carcass
Impaled
Beherit

I second that, minus Negative Plane and Impaled.