I'm new and want some new bands!

Jan 31, 2009
Hi! I am new to these forums and was wondering if the UM community could give me some band suggestions.
My favourite bands are: Children of Bodom, Behemoth, Slayer, Amon Amarth, Lamb of God...and don't laugh at me but I also really like slipknot and machine head.

I want to try getting into some more black metal. I really like dimmu borgir and cradle of filth. I tried listening to some gorgoroth but it is seriously not for me. There is one band that is classed as "real" black metal that i do like which is 1349.

Also, I am really into melodic death/ standard death metal. I don't really like cannibal corpse apart from a few songs of tomb of the mutilated (I am seeing them live with bodom in 3 weeks :D).

Thanks in advance.

Try Emperor for black metal.

For thrash try Kreator, Sodom, Dark Angel, Exodus

Try Dark Tranquility if you haven't heard of them. They are Melo Death

Ahh, sorry I forgot to list that i like Emperor!
I have a few kreator songs..I will check out some dark angel and exodus.
Yeah I have heard of dark tranquility, I'll listen to some more of their stuff.

death metal: Morbid Angel, Bloodbath, Bolt Thrower, Entombed, Unleashed, Necrophagist

thrash metal: Testament, Death Angel, Kreator, Sodom, Evile, Warbringer

black metal: Belphegor, Satyricon, Naglfar, Enslaved, Keep of Kalessin

melodeath: Kalmah, Insomnium, Dark Tranquillity, Scar Symmetry

power metal: Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Kamelot

metalcore: Trivium, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, As I Lay Dying

deathcore: Heaven Shall Burn, Despised Icon, Bring Me the Horizon

grindcore: Napalm Death

tech death: Decapitated

start with that. you can find all of them on youtube. tip: when sampling bands, listen to at least three full songs in a row for each, to get a good feel of their sound. then go buy real cds.

Melodic Death: At The Gates, Intestine Baalism, (early) Soilwork, Darkane (first album), Disarmonia Mundi, Kalmah, Dark Tranquillity, Dawn Of Dreams, The Crown

Death Metal: Dismember, Miasma, Demilich, (early) Death, Morbid Angel, (early) Demigod, The Chasm

Black Metal: Limbonic Art, Veneficium, Profanum, Mirrorthrone, Keep Of Kalessin, (early) Aeternus, Obtained Enslavement, Astriaal, Destroyer 666, Mystic Forest, Forest Of Fog, Graveworm, In Lingua Mortua, Mirzadeh, (early) Satyricon, Setherial, Stuthoff, (early) Ulver, Negura Bunget

Thrash Metal: Overkill, Sodom, Forbidden, Watchtower, Testament, Vio-lence, Sepultura

That should keep you busy for a while.

Rather than list a bunch of bands I like, I'm just going to tell you to click on the link to my last.fm profile located in my signature and go from there. :) I use the website a lot to find new music and the sound quality of anything you find on there is going to be way better than something on You Tube.

I want to try getting into some more black metal. I really like dimmu borgir and cradle of filth. I tried listening to some gorgoroth but it is seriously not for me. There is one band that is classed as "real" black metal that i do like which is 1349.
Emperor
Limbonic Art
Early Behemoth
Also, I am really into melodic death/ standard death metal. I don't really like cannibal corpse apart from a few songs of tomb of the mutilated (I am seeing them live with bodom in 3 weeks :D).
Death, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Vital Remains, Immolation, Suffocation, Incantation, etc for the normal death metal.

At The Gates, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Paths Of Possession, Intestine Baalism, Scar Symmetry, Soilwork for melodic death metal.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

If you like Dimmu, try:

Bishop of Hexen
Tvangeste
Hollenthon
Limbonic Art
In Lingua Mortua
Black Messiah
Akroma
Nokturnal Mortum
Emperor
(although they've already been mentioned, they deserve another; great symphonic BM)

I started listening to some Kreator and Sodom and think they are absolutely brilliant!
I liked some of the satyricon stuff. Emperor are awesome!
I also checked out some iced earth, pretty cool, reminds me of maiden.

Sweet.
For thrash try Dew-Scented, Exodus, Testament.
For black metal; Limbonic Art, Darkthrone, 1349.
For maiden-y and Iced Earth-y stuff, Helloween, Chinchilla, In Flames (with the dual guitar melodies, not with the vocals at all), Kiuas, Tad Morose (Matters of the Dark)

Also listen to Bathory because Quorthon is the man.

death metal: Morbid Angel, Bloodbath, Bolt Thrower, Entombed, Unleashed, Necrophagist

thrash metal: Testament, Death Angel, Kreator, Sodom, Evile, Warbringer, Destruction, Coroner

black metal: Belphegor, Satyricon, Naglfar, Enslaved, Keep of Kalessin

melodeath: Kalmah, Insomnium, Dark Tranquillity, Scar Symmetry

power metal: Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Kamelot

metalcore: Trivium, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, As I Lay Dying

deathcore: Heaven Shall Burn, Despised Icon, Bring Me the Horizon

grindcore: Napalm Death, Terrorizer, Repulsion

tech death: Decapitated

start with that. you can find all of them on youtube. tip: when sampling bands, listen to at least three full songs in a row for each, to get a good feel of their sound. then go buy real cds.

FXD