Help me choose between two guitars

JoshuaBoshua

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2011
So I know there are better guitars out there but I was gifted a Sam Ash card and also happen to be in the market for a new guitar. It's boiled down between

Jackson Pro Series Monarkh sc
http://www.samash.com/left-handed-e...kh-sc-left-handed-electric-guitar-j6903503x-p

and
ESP LTD EC 1000
http://www.samash.com/left-handed-e...c-1000-left-handed-electric-guitar-eec1000lxx

I know there's a cheaper 401 ESP but I keep reading the build quality on the1000 is better.

I really don't know a ton about guitars. I like the sound of both the blackouts and 81's I've gotten a good sound out of both but never really consider build quality. Any recommendation between the two would be great.

PS. I've spent the last couple days looking up reviews on both. Saw Ola's review on the Jackson and most written reviews on both but I called the local sam ash in my area and they don't have either in stock It will have to be shipped from Tampa. Even then I don't think unless I test them both out at home in a mix I won't get a good idea of how they will end up sounding. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyways I really like the cleaner sound of the EMG's but I also like the full bodied gritty balls of the blackouts. Thing is I don't really know much else about what can give a guitar it's sound.

LTD used to be some really nice guitrs, however, i feel wehn they shifted
production from south korea to indonesia quality got a bit bad!

my father owns an EC1000 deluxe from south korea and it's a really great looking and sounding guitar.
i once had the LTD EC1000 goldtop lefty from indonesia and it was fulll of mitakes in the finish,
could be a single bad model though.

if it does not have to be an LP style guitar check out schecter,
they have a ton of lefty guitars available, can't go wrong with a blackjack!

The problem is I have a sam ash card so I'm limited to sam ash and their left handed selection.

yeah, the selection is pretty meh, it used to be way better!
the EC1000 seems to be IN STOCK though, in this case i would go for the EC

My own way of choosing a guitar is really how it feels. I'm more of a lead guitarist, therefore, tend to prefer faster necks, lower profile bridge, etc.

I have a LTD guitar (ZH-7) and I don't like the neck. Too thick for leads. I don't like ToM bridges either, doesn't suit my right hand when it comes to fast playing.

Since both have the same bridge, then I guess it's not in the equation anymore. But I have confident I'd prefer the Jackson neck.

Moreover, it is true that the overall quality on LTD is not spectacular. For instance, my ZH-7 came with a nut that was filed too deep for the low B string. And there was also an issue with the higher strings. They kept coming seriously out of tune after one bend. My tech filed the slots for the higher strings and it solved the issue.

Also, there was nothing under the pick-ups that allowed to adjust their heights (I had to put some foam myself under it, that acts as a spring). And it required a very big tune-up by a tech.

I were you I'd go for the Jackson hands down.

Yeah I hear a lot about their build quality in Indonesia now but from i read online it's more apparent with their guitars under the $500 price range. I don't know for sure. I liked what I heard from OLA but his tone is usually a little darker/grittier than I like, but still it sounded solid. I know the EMG's a get a lot of flac but I like the sound.
Honestly I have no clue which to choose.

Well I don't know but I think it comes down to what... 4 points?
What's more important to you :
Look
Feel
Sound
Quality

I guess you could score each guitar in each of those groups and decide after that. Either way, I doubt you'll regret.

My ZH-7, which I am not super impressed by the quality, is roughly 1000 USD. Doesn't mean they all suck, I could have been unlucky. Oh and ya I had to clean the pickup switch contact when I got it, it was making weird stuff.