Help me get monitors at about 1500-1700€

Teddyboy

Oct 6, 2008
Athens,Greece
www.facebook.com
I'm in search of monitors and my maximum budget can be up to 1700€ Some of the things I have in mind are the following:

Dynaudio BM6A
Focal Solo 6Be
Genelec 8040
Genelec 8130
Adam P11A
Adam S1X
Adam P22A
Adam S1A
Yamaha NS10 + Power Amp + Sub

The only pair of monitors I have listened to were the Genelec 8040 and the Focal Solo 6Be,but not side by side so I can compare them.

Do you have any other monitor to suggest to expand the list? I need your knowledge,your opinions,your thoughts guys.

Thanks in advance

I can tell you not to go with the NS-10's as your main mixing monitors.

I'd get one of the nice sets you listed, and add the NS-10's latter as a second set, because that's what they excel at.

nice list :D

i can only recommend you go to a store and demo as many as possible....personally i'd rule out the ns10/sub combo, and the dynaudios - they're in a different league (worse).

my personal faves would be either the adam p11/22 or the s1x i guess. i love my p11a's, and i'm sure the 22a will be great too. the adam s2x they had when i demo'ed the p11a were about the best monitors i've ever heard, though, so definitely check out the s1x too.
as for the genelecs, the 8040 are great monitors....as good as the adams, but a totally different flavor.
i have no experience with the focal solo's, though.

Thanks for your suggestions guys! The Genelec 8040 were really great monitors!! Tomorrow I'm gonna (or at least try to..) check the rest of the list. Do you have any other monitors to suggest? Do you think I'll need a sub or not?

Considering how much I've heard about Genelecs being very flattering ("client-pleasers" seems to be the most common term) from (among others) one of my past Audio Arts Production professors who I greatly respect, I'd be wary about those personally...

mh....not exactly true, imho. to me they're not as analytical sounding as my adams (it was between the 8040 and the p11a for me) and are nicer on the ears, which i guess makes it easier to work on them for long hours. however, i still felt that you could really dig into the mixes with the genelecs. they're just different, not worse. some people prefer wine, some beer, and i feel it's the same thing with genelecs vs more analytical speakers.