Help Me Install EMGs, Even If You Don't Know How

Mar 3, 2007
Greetings!

I bought a set of EMGs and I want to drop them in one of my guitars, but I'm a little sketchy on the logistics of it all. I've changed out pickups before, but only passive ones. Here is the situation:

I was considering making the Tone control a 2nd Volume control, so that I could have independent control over each PU's volume. Would there be any problems with having EMGs on 2 volume pots & no tone pots instead of 1 volume & 1 tone?

If you have experience wiring EMGs, please post your knowledge or PM me. This is the metal forum, so there must be a lot of EMG users here, right?! :headbang:

Thanks!

Thank you for that link. I believe the same diagrams are included with the pickups. The main reason I'm confused is because of the capacitor. Is the cap wired between the Volume & Tone pots only necessary for the Tone pot to be there? Get rid of the Tone pot & you can get rid of the cap? The first diagram is for a 1 Volume pot setup, and doesn't include the cap anywhere. The diagrams with Tone pots do include the cap between the Volume & Tone pots.

The guitar has a Gibson style 3-way toggle switch. Can I use Diagram 6 as it is, just without the Tone pots & caps wired in?

That would be too easy! :headbang:

Thank you for that link. I believe the same diagrams are included with the pickups. The main reason I'm confused is because of the resistor. Is the resistor wired between the Volume & Tone pots only necessary for the Tone pot to be there? Get rid of the Tone pot & you can get rid of the resistor? The first diagram is for a 1 Volume pot setup, and doesn't include the resistor anywhere. The diagrams with Tone pots do include the resistor between the Volume & Tone pots.

The guitar has a Gibson style 3-way toggle switch. Can I use Diagram 6 as it is, just without the Tone pots & resistors wired in?

That would be too easy! :headbang:

A resistor? don't you mean a capacitor?

yes if you don't want the tone pot you can get rid of the capacitor. The cap is for the filter (tone) and the capacity of the capacitor determines how the filter will react.

P.S: a pot is a variable resistor by the way. So if you only need a volume control you don't need anything else but the volume pot.

take care

Sorry, I meant cap! I know the difference! It all makes sense now. I was seriously overthinking it like caveman.

Thanks VH100R, I'm confident in what I'm doing now! :kickass:

This is going to be cake.

Thanks guys! I owe you one!

Is there something about the EMGs that makes the tone knob more desirable? Why do you find it indispensable?

Because EMG's are internally grounded as is. So, you are wasting time grounding again and potentially opening the pickup to other problems by doing so (i.e. grounding problems, noise, etc.)

Oh i misunderstood what you said - i thought you said to not use any ground at all (to not connect braid to pot covers).

actually i have my emgs ungrounded and whenever i touch the metal where the cable goes into the guitar it hums less, so ive been meaning to ground it when i get the time

I performed the installation without any problems. Rick @ EMG was very quick and helpful. Within 15 minutes of my email he had answered my questions and sent me the custom diagram I needed.

I scored the guitar new on Ebay for $400 with the intention of dropping EMGs into it. I set it up to have 2 volume controls and no tone control. I prefer it this way, because I never touch the tone control on my guitars, but volume control is a must! I cut the foam that the EMGs came in and made a pouch for the 9v, and and it fits snugly inside the control cavity.

I've owned an ESP and played some other EMG equipped guitars, but I always preferred passive PU's, even when playing metal. This is the first time I've played an 85 in the bridge, and I must say, it's exactly what I've always wanted EMGs to sound like. I just didn't realize it was the 81 that was turning me off. The 81's are just too thin for my taste. I dropped a 60 in the neck. I've never played a 60 before, but damn, I really dig the sound of that too. This is a great guitar now, with a lot of soul, it's definitely not sterile! So far I've only tested it on a 1086. I can't wait to see how this guitar tracks with the 60/85 and multiple amps.

I'm very fucking pleased, man! :headbang:

PRSEMG.jpg

How long do aklaline 9v's usually last w/ EMGs?

I know to keep the guitar unplugged, and I know I could just change it when it starts to sound weak, but I like to keep up maintenance so that it doesn't have the chance to sound weak. A 9v is only a couple bucks and the old ones can be recycled into smoke detectors.

I estimate this guitar will see anywhere from 8-16 hours of use per week. I've heard to change the battery anywhere from 3-6 months, to a year.

Is there a general number of hours a 9v will keep EMGs going strong?

Does anybody use lithium 9v's? Does it make any difference?