Help me master a track?

Yeah...I just suck at haggling. :erk:

It was the whole "You can't get anything good from a home setup with plugins" and "Come spend your money with me and you might learn something" that rubbed me wrong.

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive today, and have to chill out.

You can get good stuff from a home setup. I didn't start out with Crane Song and Manley units. If you know what you're doing then great.

I think the MOST important is the second opinion, playback through a great system in an acoustically controlled environment that might reveal things you don't listen through your setup.

Tools: are just tools. I just happen to like analog stuff better than digital. I'm NOT saying that analog is better or vice-versa. I just LIKE these things better.

TRA: I did a shootout of 5 mastering engineers for my 3rd album and the 2nd cheapest was the best of them all. He cost about 1/3rd as much as the big-name German guy who mastered my 1st album and he surely did a comparable job!

Also: we had a pop/hiphop project mastered by "Big Bass" Brian Gardner in 2006 for about $2500 and while he got it quite loud, I wasn't really that amazed. Granted, the mix was very good to begin with, but I am damn sure that a $800 mastering would have totally sufficed. Of course, when you deal with Major labels, they will like the bigname mastering guy in the credits.

wow didnt expect so many people to be up for this :D

Seriously guys cheers for giving your time , its much appreciated!!!
*UPDATED LINK*
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/419166/New Song 16 New Stems.zip

I took all the compression off the master bus (C4+Sonnox limiter) and then made a mix around that....Hope thats what i was suposed to do haha
FYI im demoing apptrigger 2 so thats the buzz noise...i managed to get that shit cut out abit. Im broke just now so i cant buy it :(
Also theres no vox on it cuz i really wasnt happy with the takes and plus im just not happy with my mics n the mbox....Im gonna track the vox another time.

Once again cheers guy for helpin me out with this stuff , you guys probably dont know how much you help guys like me out! i've learned so much from this place...Hopefully some day i can give back...somehow :D

If you've got some time in Glasgow over the weekend, let me know.
I've got Aptrigga - so you can get rid of the noise, and we can hang out a bit?

I'll try and get my master started tomorrow, and then finish it up on Saturday if it takes longer than a couple hours (shouldn't really!).

If you've got some time in Glasgow over the weekend, let me know.
I've got Aptrigga - so you can get rid of the noise, and we can hang out a bit?

I'll try and get my master started tomorrow, and then finish it up on Saturday if it takes longer than a couple hours (shouldn't really!).

hell yeah dude!
Im gonna be goin up on friday night so could mibi meet up with ya on saturday?
ill PM ya my number :D
-Wyllie

Hey mate,

Here's a quick master on my part. I don't think it's anything special, but I hope it merits a listen regardless.

I have to say that the cymbals are probably way too loud on the drum track! That was the one part that was hard to combat, since the drums needed a lot of high end to cut, and it just boosted the cymbals more.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/wyllie-ermzmaster.mp3

Im listenin back now and ive noticed something so goddam stupid on my part....ugh superior didnt bounce the hats! really fucking stupid mistake on my part there :( ill quickly sort the thing with the cymbals and hats...would you posbily have another look at it after that? I actually dig that master alot!
-Wyllie

Yeah no problems. I'd be happy to give it another shot with the cymbals sorted. Might do some more tweaking with the low-end, as I ran out of time. It might be a good idea for you to match the high-end of the kick in relation to the snare. Because as I boosted the drum highs to make the snare snap more, the kick itself started getting a bit ticky and brittle. Just a sidenote!

It's actually quite a large chain. I did a hefty bit of processing on all sources, excluding the bass drops and keys. Maybe hang around till the cymbal levels are lowered and I fine tune the thing up a bit. It still sounds a bit too hollow for me, even after all the EQ work.

Updated link http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/419166/New Song 16 New Stems.zip

Basicly what i did was i seperated the drums abit so if you want to now you can switch things up alittle, i also ran catharsis's new impulse on the guitars to try and bring some beef back..I know what you've got here isnt the greatest but i really think you did a great job with what you had ermz :)
So yeah whenever you've got abit of free time it'd be sweet if you cooked up something again for all our ears to eat lol

Cool man. Thanks for the nice words. I'll see if I can get some time tomorrow to give it another shot. The new guitars are appreciated! They were a bit hard to deal with in the first version. I actually boosted mids, which I almost never do on guitars :lol:

Cool man. Thanks for the nice words. I'll see if I can get some time tomorrow to give it another shot. The new guitars are appreciated! They were a bit hard to deal with in the first version. I actually boosted mids, which I almost never do on guitars :lol:

Not a problem my good man :D
Hopefully the guitars are sounding better imo now they sound like they have alot more low end goin on...that might be a pain in the ass tho i duno, ive not got the best monitors here and my headphones totaly lack bass response..i hope i didnt screw it up lol

I'm just re-doing it now, dude. Sorry I didn't text you.. Had a late night at uni last night - and ended up doing a few thousand words today for my report due in Friday.