Help me put together a music school programme

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
Hello to you all.

I currently work as a lecturer at a local music school.
We teach a curriculum from another music school but we have been asked to write out own curriculum.
I have made a good start writing this but I thought it may be nice to get some input from some industry pros and the many past/present students that frequent this site about what you would consider important information that I should include.
Please note that the course I teach is currently a one year, certificate in contemporary performance music but we have a large portion of the course devoted to live/recorded sound. We will be adding a second year to the course soon.

What I would like to know is, what do you think I should include in my teachings to beginner students wanting to know the basics but also giving them a good intro into the world of live/recorded sound?
All up I need round 40 - 50 topics for different classes. Any suggestions would be awesome thanks. Feel free to discuss this too!

Cheers,
Nigel.

songwriting
Studio recording
Studio/production techniques
Band rehearsals for set topics throughout the year (eg motown, funk, blues, northern soul)
How cultural events have influenced music in the last hundred years (could do these lectures at the same time as they're rehearsing a certain genre, eg on motown week, do a lecture on the detroit riots etc etc)
Live event management
Round up of people in the music industry and what they do (managers, tour managers, booking agents, sound engineers, label exec's etc)

these are just what I can remember off the top of my head from what I did at college, and it's given me everything I need to know what i'm doing at a confident level in the industry.
However it didn't give me a reliable drummer

^^^^^

Cheers for the input M8. This is the kind of thing we are already doing which is good, just wanted something a little more detailed about the live/recorded sound aspect in particular such as:
Mic type/technique
compressors/limiters
tracking etc

Any other advice or ideas?

Cheers.