People in LA, please help. LA music awards...

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
I am calling for help from anyone that has had experience with the LA Music Awards (LAMA)

I live a long way away form LA, in New Zealand, so I know nothing of LA or these awards so please excuse me if this seems like a silly question.

I am a teacher at a music school and one of my former students has received a 'nomination' at their awards show this year.
When I first heard of his success I was very proud so I decided to look at the information he posted about it and I was horrified to see how much it was going to cost him to be a part of this award show. Not only that but the only way he could win the award was to pay a rather large fee.
We re talking about ALOT of money...
This prompted me to do some investigation and it took all of a few minutes of browsing their website before I started to become suspicious of them and their authenticity so I did a quick google search and only found negative feedback.

Can anyone provide me stories, words of warning to pass to my student or success stories from these awards to show me that I should support him on this adventure?

Thanks for your time.

Nigel.