Help me to choose monitors :( yay

zvish

Jan 2, 2008
¯\(°_o)/¯
Hi, I know that there is a million threads like this everywhere....BUT! Maybe some of you heard all of those speakers and can write something interesting about them. I can test only adams in place where I live lolz;p

So, I can choose:

Focal CMS65 - (read only fapping post's about them, and probably will choose them, but they appears very rarely in studios directed to heavy music)
Acoustic Energy AE22 - (second place in my ranking, in reviews known as NS-10n's on steroids;p)
Adam a7 + sub 8
Adam a7x
Genelec 8040

Any ideas? I have Yammys Hs50 for now.

(and please don't suggest me Hs80 ;P my friend have them and NS-10's and they sound's like cheap hi-fi system compared to old Yammis)

In the price range of the Genelec's I liked the ADAM S3A better. Seemed to me to have better imaging and tighter response. The A7 + sub and A7x sound very good as well. The Genelec, to me, sounded too mid emphasized.

A7 + sub, the new Adam won't give you as much added value (in terms of what you hear) than older A7s with sub. But I haven't heard Focals and it seems that people like them a lot, so I would consider them as well.

which sub would you guys recommend and is it even needed in a small room? The room is less than ideal (3m x 7m) so I'm not sure I should invest yet.

I have Adam A7's and love them, but I haven't tried any of the other monitors on the list. Most Genelec's it seems like people either love or hate them, I've read nothing but good things about the Focals

Every major studio I've been in is either running Adams, Genelecs, or both. I guess at the end of the day it just comes down to your price range.

I have a pair of BX8a's just because I'm not even remotely close to professional, after about 2 years the tweeter blew out in one of them and the power LED stopped working. My friend had an extra pair of 6.5" DSM1's that I'm using now and those sound much better than the BX8a's did, for sure.