Help me with a pre-production sound

Freak Of Metal

Student Of Sound
Jun 15, 2009
Leeds
Hey guys. My band is about to start recording a pre-production before we hit Hansen studios. Even though its only a pre-production, its always nice to have a good sound. Right now we're using EZ Drummer DKFH and I've tried my best in the past few days to make it sound good in reaper with a bunch of different plugins, sidechaining, etc. The guitars are running through amplitube metal and amplitube 2 with impulses. There's no bass on there yet as I'm mainly trying to develop a good drum and guitar sound.

Here's a short clip of a random riff and tom fills to give you an idea of what it sounds like. Some creative advice would be awesome! Keep up the fantastic work on this forum! I've learnt lots to help my productions already.

Cheers.:kickass:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4299941/Basic%20Set%20Up%20Sound%20III.wav

it's kind of nice, maybe too much reverb, i'd probably end up gating the reverb a bit so it sounds as large as it sounds on the clip but gets away before the other hits of toms or snare triggers it again. I'd expand the drums a bit too so they punch more. I won't be commenting on the guitar tracks since I don't know shit about good guitar tones. for me there is ok or not ok and this tone is ok for me. Good luck dude!