Help needed!! Replacing tubes in JSX

tarbh666

Feb 25, 2008
Hey guys! i just bought a Peavey JSX head and want to get the EL34 power tubes outta there and replace them with some 6L6 tubes. Could any of you recommend a good brand of tubes for a real aggro tone with loads of low end?
Any help appreciated!

Make sure you post back with your findings. I bought the JSX last year and it still has the stock tubes in it. I'd love to hear some feedback on how different the 6L6's sound

Nebulous did this some time ago and posted some samples. Maybe search for his thread or PM him for his opinions.

Anyway, here are the samples he posted:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/437070/Nebulous JSX Tube Comparison.rar (32MB File)

Lol, thanks for posting that Hack. Saves me looking for it.

I really need to get onto some more clips when this album is finished in the coming weeks.

Ok, first up, I can like the El's and the 6L6's equally, depending on the day haha.

The EL's have a mid/ high mid voicing that is great in the room, but abit much under a mic. They are also a touch more grainy in the topend both in the room and under a mic.
The 6L6s are a touch scooped in that region, which is good for the JSX as it allows you more control over the general mid region.

Hoestly though, I would recommend spending your money on some smoother preamp tubes and some bias probes. I think the hotter bias on either of the tubes sounds better than what we get from factory.

A point to note about the JJ tubes: I put a full set (pre and power) into the JSX and the power amp tubes went bad after a year, so I put the old ones back in.
I will be trying another brand for the power amp next. I may go back to JJ one day, but I did find it odd that they gave me grief so quickly and I would like to see if I can get abit more agression in the mids.

Hope that helps.

Cheers for all the feedback guys. Gonna order a Peavey kit over the weekend and bias probes. Will post back with results when I eventually get it sorted out.
I was wondering if Mesa Dual Rectifier tubes would be compatible? Maybe not as I know you can choose which tube set you want to use on the back of the Rectos.

I would stick to the ones commonly available for the JSX, or send an email to either Eurotubes or Dougs tubes to see what else they have on offer.

God all this talk of the JSX really makes me impatient to finish my current project. I really want to take more time to make some good clips with it.