Peavey JSX head

Flavio CotM

Jan 27, 2006
San Diego CA
Hello people i have the JSX head, had it for a year very happy with it, but now i'm at the point to replace the tubes, it has the stock ones, anybody can reccomend a specific brand???, i have only used groove tubes for a marshall head i had before and for the ada mp1 & mp2 preamps.

E-A: Have you re-tubed your JSX yet? Did you jsut do a straight swap with the stock tubes, or did you change from EL34 to 6L6GC?
I've currently got the stock JJ EL34's, but think the tone could use a bit more refinement (rough highs, slightly loose lows). Would the swap to 6L6's help that, or should I be looking more into the Pre section? ( I have no idea what brand tubes are in the pre).

I haven't retubed my JSX yet, so I guess I'm a liar, haha. Honestly I like how it sounds as is with the EL34's, but I also don't play metal that much anymore these days. For what I do, which is a modern style of blues-rock, it fits perfectly and I get exactly what I've been looking for. 6L6's will definitely tighten the low-end of the amp a bit, but preamp tubes have a lot to do with it as well. There is such a wide variety of preamp tubes to fit the bill for heavier styles, but to go along with them is an even wider variety of taste and preference. For me, I've always e-mailed Bob at EuroTubes and told him what I'm looking for out of any of my amps that I was retubing and he suggested a perfect setup. Perfect as in, when I got them in the mail, put them in, and turned on the amp, it was exactly what I had been wanting, heh.

The JSX is the only amp I own that doesn't have an all-JJ setup, and thats only because I haven't switched anything out yet. Both Mesas, the Engl, 5150, and both Marshalls have nothing but JJ's in them and even if I don't like the amp itself *ahem Marshall ahem* I still like the tone a lot more with the JJ's than I did before.

I've even caught Bob suggesting other tubes before besides JJ's in e-mail conversations because he knew what it was I was looking for out of the amp and in particular situations he felt that JJ's may or may not give me the desired outcome. That alone makes him a very useful contact, IMO, because he obviously isn't out to just get your money. He strikes me as being a sincere person when it comes to making sure you are getting what you want out of your amplifier(s).

~e.a

Forgot to add this...

All that said and done, I still wouldn't mind seeing what a good set of 6L6's would do for my JSX. I have a few friends that play technical stuff and the EL34's have performed well for the "projects" we've worked on, but again, the 6L6's might put the icing on the cake for that stuff. As far as my tone goes for my own music, the EL34's are da bomb hizzy.

~e.a

JJ's and peaveys seem to mesh well together

i've heard conflicting stories about eurotubes, mainly good things but i know there's been some drama based around them supposedly reccomending tubes that certain amps weren't meant to run...namely the peavey xxx, which is designed very much like the jsx

not dissing eurotubes at all, as i said most people seem to have great experiences with them...just that since your amp is similar to the one that all the crap started over...thought i'd speak up

JJ's and peaveys seem to mesh well together

i've heard conflicting stories about eurotubes, mainly good things but i know there's been some drama based around them supposedly reccomending tubes that certain amps weren't meant to run...namely the peavey xxx, which is designed very much like the jsx

You are talking about the JJ E34L that he sells.... Very nice sounding E34 replacemant. Works fine on every amp except the XXX.... Not JJ's or Eurotubes fault, its an extremely cheap part that peavy put in the amp, called a screen grid resistor. it fries if you use the E34L's in it.