help please on a Maiden question - Re Blaze

I think Blaze was a fantastic choice for the direction they went with The X Factor, it is a brilliant album and the vocals are very suited. On the other hand, Maiden already had 9 albums of stuff that Blaze wasn't the best man to have singing, so he wasn't the best choice, no.

Wolfsbane are a great rock band.

Blaze are a great metal band.

I think Blaze joining Maiden was both the best decision and the biggest mistake he ever made. Best decision because he's now more famous than he ever would have been with Wolfsbane; biggest mistake because now he's known as the guy who replaced Bruce and failed miserably (like plenty of other singers who have replaced popular singers in bands - I'm sure you all can name others).

I don't think Ripper 'failed' in Priest..
And I don't think you could say he has failed in Iced Earth (yet).

Although.. fans abandoned the band in huge numbers, Jugulator and Demolition were both reasonably poor, and now Halford is back the band is 'cool' again. :(

The Glorious Burden is pretty crap, despite a couple of highlights. Now, Ripper didnt write them, but Matt would have sounded WAY better on those songs as when he sings in a higher register he screams, whereas Ripper sounds like a power metal singer. Ripper is an awesome vocalist but he needs some more aggression in his vocals in Iced Earth.

I don't like The Glorious Budren much either anymore, but I seriously couldn't see Matt sounding better. Nope.

I could, on the heavier tracks certainly, Atilla, Declaration Day, Greenface, The Reckoning and Waterloo all would sound better with more aggressive screaming IMHO... though theres no saving the ballads on that album. I think I need to throw up just thinking about them.

Though I still reckon Atilla is one of Iced Earths best songs ever :worship:

Though I should also add that when I heard Matt left I thought Ripper would be a perfect replacement, and still do, he just needs to find some aggression, he sounds too timid. Jon should punch him in the face a few times before he records his vocals.

The Reckoning vocals are stupid. They ruin would might have been a good song. :(

Spiff said:
I think Blaze joining Maiden was both the best decision and the biggest mistake he ever made. Best decision because he's now more famous than he ever would have been with Wolfsbane; biggest mistake because now he's known as the guy who replaced Bruce and failed miserably (like plenty of other singers who have replaced popular singers in bands - I'm sure you all can name others).
Joelene Turner in Deep Purple :puke:

Sydo said:
The Reckoning vocals are stupid. They ruin would might have been a good song. :(
I disagree. When the first verse kicks in with "You went to far this time", Ripper sounds fucking vicious. I think he sounds awesome in The Reckoning. He sounds great in Greenface as well, his performance in that is probably the best thing about the mediocre song. He sounds good in Attila, and awesome in Red Baron, and amazing in Gettysburg. The rest I think Matt could put in a better performance.

I figured that, but the awesomeness of the rest of the vocals make up for it. It is a great song, but the chorus does take a little away from it. If it was only used as an intro and an outro, and the rest of the choruses were sung differently, I would think it would be a 10/10 song, but I give it about 8.5/10 as is.