Help troubleshoot my routing problems

lilhermiejobo

Mar 6, 2007
Why, Hello there!!! Thank you for clicking on this thread. I appreciate your interest in this non-life-threatening matter, but ultimately its just a bummer.
Who's ready for a short story? I know I am, so here it is :)
I've finally met up with one of them, oh what're they called?.... oh yeah, singing fellas... and being the multi-instrumentalist that I am, we've started working on recording on album. A concept trilogy, to be exact, but that's for another story.
So, anyway, I've picked up a mixer recently to make it easier to switch between a headphone amp during tracking and monitors during playback/mixing.
What I'm trying to figure out at this stage is how to route the recorded signal back into the mixer without it causing a loop back onto a new track when layering.

Right. So,
The usual suspects are:
Desktop PC
EMU 0404 PCI (unbalanced mono L/R input and outputs + spdif,midi)
Line 6 Podxt Pro
Behringer Xenyx 1202
Alesis M1 Actives

I'm about 50% sure I've figured out a potential solution so I'll go ahead and share that with you guys and hopefully someone can either confirm I'm right or let me know I'm wrong and guide me in the right direction.

Here's a link to the User Manual provided on Behringer's site.

I'm using the podxt pro for both guitars/bass and vocals.

For tracking guitars I'm connected into the podxt pro's guitar jack and running SPDIF out into the EMU 0404's SPDIF input. No problems here.

For vocals/percussion/misc. live noises, I'm running directly into the Xenyx1202 and using the podxt pro as an FX send/return back into the mixer for FX. No problems here, either.

My signal currently goes like this:
Pod (spdif out) > Emu (spdif in)
1202 Main Output L/R Unbalanced TRS (analog) > Emu L/R TRS Unbalanced (analog) Inputs
1202 Headphones Balanced Stereo TRS > Rolls Balanced TRS headphone amp
Emu L/R Unbalanced TRS > Alesis M1 Actives

I'm thinking if I change the Emu L/R output from the monitors to the 1202's tape-input, I can send that signal to the control room/headphones without it looping into the main-mix (main outputs). But what I'm trying to stay away from is having the music playing through the monitors AND the headphone amp at the same time.

Man, this is really frustrating trying to word it even which is frustrating on its own because its something SO simple and I have no idea why I'm not "getting it". I know its not a difficult thing to do but for some reason my brain is just burnt out usually by the time I get home from work and try to start messing with this stuff.
Hopefully what I've posted will make enough sense to someone can further help me understand what I'm missing here.

I agree with you and ultimately that is a goal of mine. I just cant justify the expense at the moment for a hobby that isn't bringing in any sort of cash flow. Hence, I'm trying to make the best out of what I currently have.

Anyone else?

The Xenyx 1202 has a few output options: 1/4" L/R Mains, 1/4" L/R Control Room, 1/4" Stereo Headphones, RCA Tape-Out.

I'm thinking if I run the 1202's Tape-Out, to the Emu's L/R inputs that would free up the Mains for my Monitors.
If I then run the Emu's L/R outputs to the 1202's Tape-In, that should give me the recorded signal I need during playback/tracking.
Then leaving open the mixer's Control Room L/R outputs.
Makes sense to me... now I just need to find a pair of RCA to 1/4" cables.

Last edited by a moderator: