Help with 5150II(tubes)

Carcass29

3oIF
Sep 21, 2005
New York
Hey guys, My 5150II tubes have gone dead finally and I was just curious if I could replace them with the same kind of tubes without biasing? I really don't know much about this topic and any input would be appreciated. I also heard that I could swap out the current tubes and go for KT-66's with biasing ofcourse....just wondering if that's true? ....kind of like the Soldano's. -OR- any other ideas or brands to use...it's got to be brutal. Thanx

Hey man its simple. Just get some tubes, 6L6, whatever brand you heard about that you think is cool, and pop them in. JJ tubes seem to be very popular.

And then behind the screen in the back on the left side there is a bias pot. You can then turn it up or down till you find a setting that sounds best. No worries.

Colin

Vile-ator is right i think, since the Mk II has a bias pot, replace the tubes with JJ's 6L6 GC's and maybe Electro Harmonix 12AX7's, and set the Bias pot right... look for the correct setting for the amp/tubes combo and you're set!
Let us know how it went.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say you should have somebody bias it within specs. If the bias pot has a wide enough sweep that it also allows for KT66's, you could end up way out of range, and cause your tubes to be expended prematurely.

"If the bias pot has a wide enough sweep that it also allows for KT66's, you could end up way out of range, and cause your tubes to be expended prematurely"

no, it has not. actually the range isn't even sufficient to bring 6l6 tubes out of crossover distortion.
check www.fjamods.com for further details

I've got a matched quad of JJ 6L6GC power tubes and a mix of C9 Chinese (Shugaung 12AX7C), EH 12AX7, and the EH high gain 12AX7 preamp tubes coming on some recommendations from people getting tones I like from the 5150II. When I get 'em in I'll let you know whether they made much of a difference...

Steve

Thanks for the input everyone.....I just purchased 4 Gold Series Groove Tubes 6L6GE's and kept the same preamp tubes, they seem to be ok. There is a bias adjustment switch that I could mess with but I really don't know what to do with it so I'm not touching it. So far I lost some volume since installing the new tubes but everything seems to sound alright.