help with DAW recording stuff

punkmetal

New Metal Member
Nov 24, 2007
Hey,
I'm totally new to recording and looking for a good DAW and interface. Right now, I'm looking at a Presonus FireStudio/Cubase 4 combo or a Protools LE/003 Rack. I will be recording and editing a lot of audio for myself and my band, but I also don't want to be limited in terms of exploring the possibilities of MIDI and stuff. Which do you think is the better choice? I've done a bunch of research but input from anyone who has had actual experience with the systems would be really helpful. Thanks.

well...IMO, you're looking at two fairly similar products, that are capable of giving similarly equal results

i would look at which one costs more, and then buy the other one

The FireStudio has 26 inputs (8 analog, 16 ADAT) while the 003 only has 16 (8 analog, 8 ADAT) iirc. Also the FireStudio gives you 8 mic pres out of the box (the 003 has only 4). Plus Cubase doesn't limit your number audiotracks. I'd go for FireStudio/Cubase 4.

So whats the pro's about pro tools Digi 003? Why do some people still have/use pro tools LE If the Firestudio/Cubase combo benefits you more?

Honestly, I love Pro Tools, I really do - the editing is so wonderful, and I love the mix window - but the LE interfaces just aren't that fantastic, and I've found it buggy on my computer (system held off interrupts for too long RRRRGGGHHHHH), so I'm going for a Fireface 800 and Sonar 7 this summer when I can make some cash proper.