Help with DI

deadsnow512

Uncle Hacksaw
Aug 31, 2010
California
I recently downloaded someone's DI's and noticed that theirs sounded a whole lot better than mine. I've found a few other threads about how to get better DI's but none have seemed to help me.

Here's a clip of mine http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19306730/DI.mp3

I'm using a saffire pro 40, i've tried using different guitars and cables and even an IMP 2 DI box that i had laying around, but it still sounds the same.Mine just aren't as clear and loud as the other ones i've heard around here.

I can't imagine that the DI box is doing much. Lots of things come down to good DI's. Pups, guitar, interface, di box but most of all is playing

i've tried guitars like an LTD EC-1000 and a schecter tempest, my playing isn't incredible but i did consider that being a problem too, i've also seen some people saying how plugging directly into the saffire pro 40 does still give you some pretty good sounding DI's

I definitely hear what you mean dude, those DI's sound dark as hell. I don't know what to tell you, other than to list your gear piece by piece. Is your guitar connected to anything before the interface? What brand and length cable are you using? What guitar? Does the guitar lack clarity when you plug it into the amp?

Try recording a riff straight from guitar to amp and then record a DI of the same riff and reamp it. See how much you are losing by reamping. If no change in sound quality, then it's got to be pre-interface/DI box.

as far as cables go i have a few monster cables, they're all about 1-2 weeks old and they're 12 feet long.

nothing in between the guitar and the interface either, i've tried an epiphone les paul, ec-1000, and a schecter tempest and they all sound really dark, even with new strings.

i'll try reamping it and compare that to me just playing through my amp.

the tone control on my guitar is always all the way up, i always try to make it as bright sounding as i can.

@egan damn, i'm DEFINITELY going to get myself a lava cable.

Lava cables are indeed very very good, but you dont need to go crazy. Just so long as you use something that is NOT Monster cable, you should note a vast improvement.

EDIT: Planet Waves are rebranded Monster cables as far as I know, so that's blacklisted as well.