Help with Dissertation...

derek said:
I'm just not convinced that the genuine reasons you have named really exist.

I realise that it's been a while but I think it's worth bringing your attention to the situation in Palestine, as it is a good example of what (in my opinion) could be classed as a genuine reason behind terrorism.

Hamas, a former terrorist group adopted a more civilised and peaceful stance in politics, and ran for election in last year. Their major opposition was an Israeli group. Hamas won the election as they won the most votes. They won the election democratically (what the West want) and the only problems encountered during the voting was from the Israeli side (as noted by the UN). The Isreali party had tried to stop voters coming to the polls, but they did not succeed anyway.

Now that Hamas are in power, they West is unhappy because Hamas refuse to accept Israel. Israel is also holding pack aid from the Palestinian people because they voted freely for a party who refuses to accept Israel. Money that Palestine is owed is alos being kept back, and the people are suffering. It is probable that Hamas will have to accep Israel; if it does not, then the people of Palestine will eventually die. And what use is a Government if it has no people to look after? This, therefore, is basically blackmail. A democratically elected political party is being blackmailed into doing what Israel and the West want, wish is not what the people of Palestine what. If they did, they would have voted for another party instead.

And lets not forget the slaughter of thousands of Palestinains by Israelis that the West, led by America, politely ignores. And lets also not forget that they had their land taken away from them because of something that was not thier fault. Why should Arabs (who have long been kind and friendly towards the Jews) have to suffer for the guilt and the sins of the West? Why didn't America give Texas to the Jews, or California, or Arizona. What right did they, and do they,have to give away land that belongs to other nations?

In a way I almost feel comfortabe saying that I cannot blame groups like Hamas for turning to Terrorism to get things that they need and what, whether it be revenge, justice or food.