Help with drum set for a beginner

Nigel Tufnel

These all go to 11!
Feb 3, 2007
Warren, MI
I'm going to start to look for my first drum set in a few months after I get a new job. I played drums back in the day when I was in grade school. I'm looking something on the end of entry-level that I can re-learn the drums on. I probably wouldn't use the kit for performances, but something that sounds pretty good live would be a plus. Prices range would be $400-$600. Maybe even an electronic set (prices are probably a bit higher) so I can record directly without mic-ing the drums. What would people suggest as far as brands and also where to buy them at? I've looked mostly at musiciansfriend.com to get an idea of what is out there.

Check your local paper or music stores. Most will have listings for people selling used instruments. If you're not concerned with a couple of scratches you'll save a ton. New kits are for suckers if you're on a budget.

OSP has put out a 7 piece with cymbols and hi-hat full sized set for under $400.00. check Siglarmusic.com. From there it will take you to their ebay store where you can hear/see a video demo.

Pearl. Pearl. Pearl. Their THE Best when it comes to entry level kits. Get yourself a Pearl Forum, then a set of Sabian B8's, and you'll have a solid starter set.

Even better, look on Ebay for used Pearl Exports, they usually go for around 5-600 with cymbals and more hardware. Great deals!

Mapex is great too, and highly reccomended.

Tama has a beginners set that might fall in your price. And make sure to message... the person who stated he'll help out forumers with their purchases (Guitar Center).

Urinalcakemix, Princess Toadstool doesn't look to happy being humped by Mario:)

Thanks for the tips everyone. If I get this job I'm interviewing for, I'll be able to afford a kit sooner rather than later. Woo-hoo.