Help with Kahler on Jap Strat

Randyisgod15

Mikey B Nasty
Apr 15, 2008
New York
So I bought an '89 Japanese Strat with a Kahler Trem system last week. It was missing the string locks and trem bar. I thought "Oh, I can just order that from allparts or something, no problem". Love the guitar, but I can't find these damn string locks anywhere. All I can find are the behind-the-nut versions. Am I missing something here? I've seen other Jap Strats for sale with the same system and they are all missing the string clamps as well. Weird. Anybody run into this problem before, or have any idea where I can find replacement parts for it? Thanks

It can be replaced with suitable floyd toplock (check Schaller or Floyd Rose), just measure wideness and height (from basement to bottom of strings) and pick suitable one (better to pick with closest height to avoid some work). It has same holes positions. I`m replaced Kahler 5511 (also without two clamps and in bad condition) with Gotoh toplock on my Charvel Model 6 89, but this was slightly wrong because Gotoh`s have unsuitable radius (16" or 400 mm), better to pick Shaller or Floyd.

Problem not kahler tremolo itself, but because Kahler 5511 string lock does not produced anymore. Not all replacement parts are available, sooner or later all parts will be unavailable.
It can be easily swapped to standard floyd string lock, so no more problems.