Help With Low-End Mix

Sep 23, 2009
Illinois
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3779104/Studio Demo 2.mp3

Hey guys, I have a short instrumental mix (under 2 min). The main thing i need help with is getting the low freqs to fit perfectly. I often struggle with mixing bass guitars (i.e. getting them to shine through shit laptop speakers without destroying the rhythm guitar and the "high-end kick click" mix; the chugging). it's obviously a little overpowering in the low frequency department. I think it's mostly the kick. I hate thin kicks so i usually try to cover the most ground with it that i can. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Any other critiquing, comments, or general nonsense is welcome too.

If you want to know any specific details on how i did anything, feel free to ask.

ps if anyone is bored and wants to do some vocals for it, let me know and I'll pm you my email. I need more practice. And i may be adding more to the song.. i guess it just depends on the feedback i get :lol:

the kick sounds fine, the main problem with this mix is that everything just all sounds really smushed together and claustrophobic
are you MIXING on the laptop speakers or are you mixing on monitors and then referencing with laptop speakers?

mix with monitors and if you MUST reference on something lower quality, then car speakers all the way.
its the whole sorta "do i go for the utmost sound quality or do i go for how 90% of the worlds dumbfucks will be listening to this?"
and it should always be the first. give those with good ears and good taste in listening equipment something to feast their ears on. it should translate down to computer speakers just fine that way.