NEED HELP TAMING LOW END

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
yesterday i remixed a song i wrote a couple of years ago because i decided to use it with my band. and along with the bass track (pitch shifted guitar, which doesnt help the situation) there are a couple of 808s/bass drops/brown notes, whatever you want to call them, at the end. and i want to make the low end sound nice n heavy, but not completely destroying the low end.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/santaclaws.mp3

im pretty sure it just needs some multiband/eq or something but when i try Ozone's multiband comp on the master bus, it doesnt seem to do anything except lower the gain of X band, which isnt necessarily what im looking for. i want to retain the gain of X band, while making it sound cleaner and having the bass guitar/bass drops sit well in the mix.

im sure there are countless threads just like this, but forgive me as i just cant seem to find the right help yet.

snare is extremely muddy/muffled sounding, kick needs less high end click, guitars are alright, bass (pitched guitar) could come down a little bit. also, when the kick hits, it sounds like it might be pumping some. i'm also hearing a bit of clipping.

I agree with the kick/snare problems. Just pull some of the high end out of the kick. As for the snare I'd try adding a decent bump around 6hz and maybe a tiny bump around 10hz.

this isnt helping my problem with the low end. heres a better example, another mix i just finished.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/Calamity.mp3

before i upload it to facebook, id like some feedback on this, AS WELL AS how i can tame the lower frequencies. at a little less than half way through, at the breakdown, there is a pretty huge bass drop. our vocalist said he just listened to it on his laptop and when it hits it just sounds like mess, but thats not the case when i listen through my desktop speakers. again, im sure it has to do with multiband comp, but can somebody enlighten me on how to tame it and make it sound listenable?