help with my mix!

I dig the rythm guitar and bass but something must be done with OH, Hihat and snare. My guess is that you used samples. Bring cymbals down in the mix, humanize them and get rid of harsh frequencies, same goes for hihat. If you can, try some other samples.

Snare is kinda without '' body '', maybe boosting a lil around 200Hz can help or just layer some '' one shot '' sample with it. Toms need body too, they are too thin.

Your lead guitar sound is kinda off the mix in the first part when they kick in, maybe lowering the volume so that they fit in the mix more would be good. The next part when lead is playing alone and the next one to the end is good.

Just a few tips :)

There you go :) the balance is much better now so leave it for now. But I still kinda don't dig the drum sound, samples to be more specific. What are you using anyway?

Superior drummer with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P59pM0WOJFs
preset. Honestly I am not good at all that so I just used a preset.
I liked the way the snare sounded in that preset. I start with that preset and I mix everything in reaper and use my post editing (I guess that is what you'd say) to change it.

Oh and a One liner drum sample that I found on these forums. a couple of weeks ago. Charles J Wall snare sample. Everything I use is freeware except for Superior drummer.

This is just another perfect example of how presets won't work for every mix. Sounds pretty good to me, but yeah the drum samples don't seem to fit your guitar/bass mix.

I could try some other samples see how it works out. Is there anything specific that you guys don't seem to like about them? If anything to me they sound thin to me.

The guitars sound pretty good and I really like the bass. As for the snare, I'd try sending it to a reverb bus and to fill up the space, but do it sparingly.

Guitar tone pretty much depends on what impulses you use. My '' to go '' impulse is Messiah cab, I used it on every track in my mixes.

You say you own SD. Avatar is pretty good kit to start with, I really like toms and use them on my mixes. You can layer your snare with Charles J sample, that would be a good starting point. And you can do the same with the kick.