Help with NOT metal mixing, mainly vocals

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
So I've been trying to mess around with different styles of music to try and learn new techniques, etc.

I came to the conclusion I don't have a clue on where to start with a softer kind of mix, mainly acoustic stuff. Up to now all I've been doing are loud drums and heavy guitars with super compressed vocals. I was wondering if anyone can give me a good starting base on how to approach a softer kind of mix like this one

I really enjoyed this mix, everything is so well balanced. Tried to emulate it, failed miserably

Like what's a good starting point on the compressor/eq for the vocals on something like this.

The acoustic guitar sounds great, what do u think was in the chain?

I know I'm being very broad but I just figure any help is better than no help. At least with some advice I can start going in the right direction and then experiment from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use all the same type of EQs and COMPs just tweak the knobs differently. On a metal kick you might have to push 3-5k super hard, well on a softer song just be a little more gentle with how hard you push your EQ or COMP. Just turn the knobs till it sounds good, start with cutting to clear it up and then boost if you need to make any changes.

This is some of the best kind of music to mix. The space is already there, all you really need to do is glue it and make sure it vibes right. Quality analogue gear helps to avoid that disjointed, peaky digital sound. Tape or good quality tape saturation on the vocals would do wonders to bring out the texture in the mids. Try to use lots of 'flavor' gear. Gentle optical compressors, or tube-optical to bring out detail and to soften the sound. You want it to sound precious, intimate and textured - this is where analogue gear shines.

Anyway for a starting point try a CL1B or LA-2 on the vocal track. Stereo LA-2 or LA-3 on the guitar. Female vox usually like a great deal of highs and high mids, but you have to do it right otherwise the vocal will just sound obnoxious. Textured tube mic like a U47 really helps get the right vibe off the bat for the vox.

This is some of the best kind of music to mix. The space is already there, all you really need to do is glue it and make sure it vibes right. Quality analogue gear helps to avoid that disjointed, peaky digital sound. Tape or good quality tape saturation on the vocals would do wonders to bring out the texture in the mids. Try to use lots of 'flavor' gear. Gentle optical compressors, or tube-optical to bring out detail and to soften the sound. You want it to sound precious, intimate and textured - this is where analogue gear shines.

Anyway for a starting point try a CL1B or LA-2 on the vocal track. Stereo LA-2 or LA-3 on the guitar. Female vox usually like a great deal of highs and high mids, but you have to do it right otherwise the vocal will just sound obnoxious. Textured tube mic like a U47 really helps get the right vibe off the bat for the vox.

So you suggest he should invest in about 15k in gear man :D

Im sorry to say but ermz is probably right. When the arrangement is sparingly everything will be more noticeable, such as ugly ITB compression.
So quality all the way through from tracking to mix.

To get a great acoustic guitar sound, be sure you have an expensive guitar and a great mic, and a decent room, and it should be easy.

Only thing I can to what ermz said is when I work on stuff like this ITB I generally do far less boosting with eq and a lot more cutting. boosting top end and high mids ITB with stuff this sparse will make it come apart. As ermz said, it's about gelling.