Help with pickups (a newbie question)

Psychonaut

God Of Emptiness
Nov 29, 2002
Second left after Wal-Mart
Visit site
I just started playing a couple of months ago and have a Jackson JS1 with stock pickups but it seems I'm getting too much 'fuzz' when I try to play. I'm looking into some new pickups before getting a pod or any of that stuff so I was wondering what a good replacement for what I have is.

The music I am trying to play is pretty diverse; from Jethro Tull to death metal (when I get there) so I would like something that handles a variety of tones well. Thanks in advance!!!

You're probably getting that "fuzz" from your shitty amp distortion/settings, so I would suggest getting the Pod first. Great pickups aren't going to save you from a crap tone in general, but look into Seymour Duncan for your pickup needs.

i dont think it even matters much since you said you just started playing... i used crap gear for at least a year- then when i upgraded it, it felt and sounded totally worth it

PSYCHONAUT!
As a guitar player for over 20 years now (started when I was 10 believe it or not!) maybe I can offer some tips to a newbie? It may well be that the wiring needs a little doctoring..sometimes a little soldering will fix any pops/cracks/or unwanted feedbacks right up...just a thought. You said your amp is tip top so that shouldn't be the problem...HOWEVER, are you using a decent cord? Sometimes the cord you use from your guitar to your amp makes a WORLD of difference, believe it or not. Especially if it's a cheap cord. I would say to invest in a high quality guitar cord...not too long unless you're gonna run all over the house! haha That should help....unless you've already got a good cord, that is. In that case....hell, maybe it's the pickups? hahah I just don't think that a Jackson would come with stock pickups that arent' kickass to start with. I would say have the wiring checked and get a good cord like a "Planet Waves" or a "Monster Cable" or one of those...Then the only "fuzz" you experience will be the level of distortion you choose to set the amp on!

If you've only been playing a short time, (I don't know where you got the guitar though) it's also a great idea to have the guitar professionally "tuned up". Your intonnation could be a little off and you may like the action made a little higher/lower depending on what you like....

Soon you'll be playing BLOOD TO WALK and CURSE OF THE PHAROAHS!!!!!!!
Ted

Incidentally, if you do decide to replace the pickups down the line, I say go with EMG. I have found them to be the absolute clearest and most powerful pickups on the market. (though you do have to change the batteries about every 4 months) You will have crystal clear clean tones and the most searing lead tones!!! I sold a ton of stuff when we had the baby but I used to have a Kramer Baretta (EVH style, of course) and an Ibanez JEM and I put EMG's in those. Played through an old FENDER Twin amp they sounded like freakin' heaven! I miss those things!

Thanks Ted! Well, it did originally come with a cheap cord that was horrible to listen to (even moreso than my botched chords) so I was quick to remedy that problem. This is kind of a low end Jackson so maybe the pickups are crap. I'm trying to decide whether to play it through a pod to see if I get what I want or change the pickups.