Help with Power Metal

Well, I've only rescently got into metal. Not that I haven't played an instrument before. I've been play bass for about half my life, which isn't that long really, since I'm only 19, but until I heard some stuff by Atheist....I just was more into jazz and fusion type stuff. Anyways, I've been listening to what I guess you would call Power Metal(Children of Bodom mostly) I dunno what it is about that shit, but I want to be able to play stuff like that. It makes me...I dunno, want to go pick up my fucking battle axe and slay some dragons or some lame shit, but it's still awesome. So, any tips for playing in this style would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It's heavy and fast, it might sound a little "gay" if you're a real death-head but I love Dragonforce. Luca Turilli has some pretty fast stuff as well. Iced Earth has it's real heavy moments, might not be what you're looking for though.

If you're looking for some War Metal I'd suggest Ensiferum or Turisas.

Power metal is what got me into it all. I've been playing guitar half my life (and I'm 19 as well) and once I could play semi-decently I started learning Iron Maiden and Iced Earth. Pretty generic power metal, but I recommend some of their stuff. Though there's a lot of power metal I haven't heard that I'd want to play, I'm more into death and doom now.

To reiterate what the others have said you're best just to learn the songs you like the most or whatever and keep practising em. You've been playing for a fair few years so I'm sure you know what you're doing with a bass, so go for it!

Practice, patience, practice, patience, practice, patience, persevererence and more practive and patience.

Listen to as much music as you can, especially different styles of metal - and listen to some classical music - particularly Bach.

You'll get there...stick with it and be patient.

JB

I really wouldn't call Children of Bodom powermetal. Much of the "typical" Euro power metal has super fast double bass, high vocalist, songs about fantasy stuff and big backing vocals. Helloween, Stratovarius, Rhapsody etc. use that "cookie cutter" style and if you like that, there's nothinig wrong with it as there are lots of bands doing it. Some people forget that Metal Church was/is a power metal band. Angel Dust is and Tad Morose are as well, though those bands are less formulatic and superior in my ears.
CoB is considered by many to be melodic death metal. The "extreme" style vocals (and lyrical content) are usually what gives bands that classification. CoB is a little different than most death metal as their vocalist uses a high screech as opposed to a deep growl normally associated with death metal. If you like the aggressive style vocals though, Opeth is a very talented death metal band. Just be careful what you get by them. One of their releases is an acoustic folky type release.

Bryant

Listen to alot of material and practice. Get involved in the community.

Suggest studying the following artists / albums:

Heavenly - Dust to dust
Wintersun
Blind Guardian -- All albums, esp. Night At The Opera, Imaginations, Nightfall, etc.
Nightwish - Once, Century Child
Stratovarius
Catharsis -- Imago, Dea
Symphony X
Thy Majestie

Good luck and best of success to you!

I really wouldn't call Children of Bodom powermetal. Much of the "typical" Euro power metal has super fast double bass, high vocalist, songs about fantasy stuff and big backing vocals. Helloween, Stratovarius, Rhapsody etc. use that "cookie cutter" style and if you like that, there's nothinig wrong with it as there are lots of bands doing it. Some people forget that Metal Church was/is a power metal band. Angel Dust is and Tad Morose are as well, though those bands are less formulatic and superior in my ears.
CoB is considered by many to be melodic death metal. The "extreme" style vocals (and lyrical content) are usually what gives bands that classification. CoB is a little different than most death metal as their vocalist uses a high screech as opposed to a deep growl normally associated with death metal. If you like the aggressive style vocals though, Opeth is a very talented death metal band. Just be careful what you get by them. One of their releases is an acoustic folky type release.
I'll give you that they've got "extreme vocals", but the rest of the music deffinatly fits into what I mean when I say 'Power Metal'. Also, upon listening to some of Iced Earth's tracks, I don't think I'd classify them as Power Metal. I'd say they are more like traditional metal, Iron Maiden and so forth. They don't really have the kind of leads I associate with Power Metal.
I downloaded a couple of tracks from Stratovarius and that was pretty cool, but it was a little....I dunno. Gay I guess. I just got Night at the Opera, which has some cool tracks. I really like The Soulforged.

Bryant said:

Bryant

CoB is MUCH closer to qualifying as power metal than melodic death metal. Alexi's vocals qualify more along the lines of black metal, but the instrumental 'style' used in CoB's music give it a power metal feel. It's impossible to throw CoB into one subgenre, so saying they are death metal is just ridiculous, especially since the vocal AND instrumental style in NO WAY resemble death metal. Melodic death metal would be bands such as Dark Tranquillity, Mnemic, In Flames, Arch Enemy, etc.

Back to the original topic... Here's a list of some awesome power metal bands:
Kamelot
Hammerfall (über cheesy, but awesome)
Demons and Wizards
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Sinergy
Nocturnal Rites
Blind Guardian
Nevermore (do they qualify, I dunno..)
Jag Panzer

Some of the bands that have been listed before are more along the lines of progressive/epic metal (which is equally kickass)... Here's a very nice sized list of prog metal bands:
Nightwish
Evergrey
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Vanden Plas
Barilari (Spanish!!)
Angra
Dreamscape
Adagio
Ayreon
Dark Moor
Epica
Kotipelto
Sun Caged

And you can check out my band at www.myspace.com/everdream if you wish to hear some awesome 'epic' metal.

:headbang:

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned them yet, but Into Eternity might be of interest to you. They combine death metal style riffs and vocals with prog/power metal style riffs and vocals pretty well, download some songs off of Buried in Oblivion and check them out.

Katalepsy said:
CoB is MUCH closer to qualifying as power metal than melodic death metal. Alexi's vocals qualify more along the lines of black metal, but the instrumental 'style' used in CoB's music give it a power metal feel. It's impossible to throw CoB into one subgenre, so saying they are death metal is just ridiculous, especially since the vocal AND instrumental style in NO WAY resemble death metal. Melodic death metal would be bands such as Dark Tranquillity, Mnemic, In Flames, Arch Enemy, etc.

Back to the original topic... Here's a list of some awesome power metal bands:

:

You left out Tad Morose which is simply an awesome band, but you mentioned Vanden Plas. Vanden Plas has almost the perfect marriage of musicianship and songwriting. Certainly they aren't household names, but bands don't get much better. I consider them melodic prog, but it's tough to have to throw any bands into subgenres. Good taste with Vanden Plas though buddy !!

Bryant

Whatdoyoumeanturndownthebass? said:
Okay, how about some really technical metal bands I could check out? I've listened to a little Dream Theater, but their songwriting isn't so great in my opinion. Pretty technical though.

Well I don't mean to beat the Vanden Plas suggestion into the ground, as my last reply was about them, but they have a lot more "hook" than DT yet still offer the progressive quality in their music.

Bryant