Help with students

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
What would you do with a student who fucks up the answer on a test even when you did it as an example for the entire class?

The example was this:

Arrange the words to make a simple present statement:

I / to collect stamps = I collect stamps. Not "I collects stamps".

This was the first question on the quiz, which I did for the entire class as an example AND EVEN WROTE IT ON THE WHITE BOARD.

Meanwhile, they're telling me, "this is too easy, we need something more advanced!"

WELL OBVIOUSLY IT'S NOT TOO EASY IF YOU CAN'T FORM A SIMPLE SENTENCE USING THE SIMPLE PRESENT WHEN I EVEN DO IT FOR YOU!!!!! Am I wrong for wanting to throw them out the window? It wouldn't be a big deal if they were just trying to learn and were simply having difficulties; oh no, this stuff is entirely beneath them, yet they can't even do it right.

This is the problem with some Italian students; they seem to know exactly what they need to improve, yet in reality they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Grrr.

You're sure they didn't answer incorrectly on purpose?

No, because he missed almost all the others too. Almost all the others.

What pisses me off is that I was trying to explain some other tenses one day, and he got all pissed off and said, "Why can't we just learn the three main tenses and that's it?" I agreed with him somewhat and told him that if he just wanted to scrape by with English, one could do that, but if you want to actually use it as a language, you'll need to know more. Well, it doesn't get any more basic than present simple, and after spending two days on just present simple, we're gonna have to do it again, obviously. So he wants to just stay where he is and not learn anything new, yet he obviously doesn't know what he thinks he knows. All the others did rather well on the test, even had one who did everything perfectly.

Some of these students are "why?" students; as in, "why is it I am and you are?" and so on. These are people who need an explanation for everything and can't understand that it is like it is because that's how it is. Why do we say io sono in Italian for I am? It's just another example of them wanting to do something without really working for it. They want to learn English without having to actually work.

dead winter, i feel with you. i have been teaching organic chemistry in a university class and it was a riot. some ppl didnt get the easiest concepts/ideas - no matter how often i repeated them, phrased them differently etc. of course no one ever asked, they always nodded as if they got it ... *shrug*
i dont know. there is always ppl who are not caring at all and spit their disinterested in your face. just dont give up i guess ... guess you really cant help those ppl tho. surely there are some students willing to learn who enjoy your classes ...

That's what makes it worthwhile, however...the ones who really want to learn. Fortunately, they are in the majority, so I still enjoy my job. Even if the ppl who don't really care are annoying, I look at it as a challenge to try and see if I can get them to show interest. If I can do that, I've already won.

[KOTNO]Narrot;7750906 said:
dead winter, i feel with you. i have been teaching organic chemistry in a university class and it was a riot. some ppl didnt get the easiest concepts/ideas - no matter how often i repeated them, phrased them differently etc. of course no one ever asked, they always nodded as if they got it ... *shrug*
i'm going back to school in january and am thinking my general bio teacher will talk about me like that...

no, i am actually interested in other classes i'm going to be taking (mythology, criminology, art history), the bio class is just a requirement that i have to satisfy since i never took any bio classes at my old school. i've really never been able to "get" science classes. my brain just can't work that way.

There's a difference in taking a core class and taking a class because you want to. These aren't university level English classes I'm giving, and they have to pay for them. Why would someone pay for something and NOT try their best to understand it? Some of these people have no concept of education.

There's a difference in taking a core class and taking a class because you want to. These aren't university-level English classes I'm giving, and they have to pay for them. Why would someone pay for something and NOT try their best to understand it? Some of these people have no concept of education.
I'm totally against beating children! Then we will have bigger troubles with them! Just when you make them feel ashamed they will listen to you. I even against to punish them for using writing services like https://edureviewer.com/, because smth useful they can take even from it, and than you can say that you are not satisfied with it and he will change his point of view! Nothing but love can save their lives especially when they are teenagers!

Wow, this thread. Back to the first post, 12 years late. It looks like the student might not understand how "I" is an exception to the singular subject/singular verb rule. Doesn't look like a tense issue.

I collect stamps.
He collects stamps.
She collects stamps.
(all simple present)

Something like "I collects stamps" or "You collects stamps" could happen easily with a student who forgets the exception to the rule. Stuff like that is pretty common with ESL students. As a teacher, I wouldn't take it personally.