Help with Tascam US-1641 and Reaper please

Sam Bottner

Jul 18, 2010
Chicago
I just got this interface and I really want to record drums with it, but how do I set each input ion the interface to a separate track on Reaper? Any help is much appreciated.

I did that... no audio is coming through even though the interface recognizes it. I think I'm doing something wrong with the inputs. On preferences I have 6 inputs so I have the separate tracks on mono input 1, mono input 2, etc. Thanks for the quick reply though.

Alright I'm just going to explain what I've done so far and if anyone that knows what I did wrong wants to help, I would be very grateful.

I plugged in the interface, downloaded the drivers (winxp 32 bit), installed the drivers, rebooted the computer, nothing happened, I installed it again, it said it failed but Reaper started to recognize the interface although no audio came through.

Guys, I could really use some help. The drivers need to be reinstalled every time I plug the thing in and when I do install them, it says installation failed, even though it then shows up as a device in Preferences in Reaper. Also there's no output to the the computer (or I don't know how to designate different inputs in Reaper). Please, if you know what I'm doing wrong, please tell me, I've had this for more than 2 weeks now and haven't even been able to use it.

It doesn't "only" work with ASIO, but depending on what you had before, I might be the only compatible option with the US-1641. I know it also renames the inputs of the soundcard in your DAW, so once you switch to ASIO you'll see each input with its own name and you should probably get sound from them.

If you're still having problems after setting up ASIO, download Asio4All (Google it). It's a multipurpose ASIO driver that works with pretty much anything, and sometimes better than the native driver.

I think I found the problem. It says I'm using USB 1.1 which is unsupported, but my computer has 2.0 on it. Is it possible it's the A to B cable I'm using with it? Would that change if its 1.1 or 2.0?

Yeah, it HAS to be set to ASIO. and it should bring up the Tascam under ASIO if everything is installed right.

Then, you need to "Insert New Track" and do this for as many tracks as you need for recording, then you need to click the "R" (Record) button and then manually assign each channel to the tracks. I think by default it sets up every Input as the 1st input, but I could be mistaken and there could be a way around this.