Help with this mix!

I like the first part with the synth, but when the guitar kicks in they are way too loud compared to the synth and drums.I think you should lower the guitars a couple of dB. But the main thing u want to do to not loose to much volume is to EQ. The snare is buried like shit so i would suggest to cut around the 200Hz region of the guitars and also synth so you bring up the body of the snare that usually sits in the 150-250Hz region. Boost around 1000Hz on the guitar to get some attack and definition. HP and LP: 130Hz-8500Hz is my advice. The synth is good but needs more presence, try to cut some lower freqs and increase the higher freqs (5k Hz and above probably).

The drums is imo the worst mixed in this song. As i mentioned the snare is buried and probably needs a bit more presence but most of all it needs more body. Try boost around 200Hz and cut some mid-freqs and increase slightly around 4k Hz. You should probably save some of that reverb on the snare, definently too much. The kick fits well in the mix, it sounds a bit too unnatural though. I can send you the kick i used in this song: http://soundcloud.com/gujukal/oceano-district-of-misery if u want :p

I like the first part with the synth, but when the guitar kicks in they are way too loud compared to the synth and drums.I think you should lower the guitars a couple of dB. But the main thing u want to do to not loose to much volume is to EQ. The snare is buried like shit so i would suggest to cut around the 200Hz region of the guitars and also synth so you bring up the body of the snare that usually sits in the 150-250Hz region. Boost around 1000Hz on the guitar to get some attack and definition. HP and LP: 130Hz-8500Hz is my advice. The synth is good but needs more presence, try to cut some lower freqs and increase the higher freqs (5k Hz and above probably).

The drums is imo the worst mixed in this song. As i mentioned the snare is buried and probably needs a bit more presence but most of all it needs more body. Try boost around 200Hz and cut some mid-freqs and increase slightly around 4k Hz. You should probably save some of that reverb on the snare, definently too much. The kick fits well in the mix, it sounds a bit too unnatural though. I can send you the kick i used in this song: http://soundcloud.com/gujukal/oceano-district-of-misery if u want :p

+1 to all of this.

Thank you so much for all this! But Im abit nooby to this so i don't know how to cut these freq, could you help describe? :) would be really thankful if you sended that kick - Sounds sick!

Do you use reaper? Just lower the gain by 3-6 dB on the specific freq range and dont have the bandwidth to wide in the EQ. Hard to explain but im sure there are a lot of tutorial that explains better :p Send me your email adress and i will send you the samples.

Do you use reaper? Just lower the gain by 3-6 dB on the specific freq range and dont have the bandwidth to wide in the EQ. Hard to explain but im sure there are a lot of tutorial that explains better :p Send me your email adress and i will send you the samples.

Hehe no, i actually use Kontakt 4 inside FL Studio 10 :D maybe i know what you mean, if you find any videos please link them!

"trippen2010@hotmail.com" is my email, thank you! :Spin:

Hehe FL Studio is not really made for creating this kind of music what i know of. It's mainly for electronic music.

If u want i can help you out and mix and master your songs. Just send me the raw guitar files and midi and i will do my best :)

Hehe FL Studio is not really made for creating this kind of music what i know of. It's mainly for electronic music.

If u want i can help you out and mix and master your songs. Just send me the raw guitar files and midi and i will do my best :)

our mates in this band fully records and mix / master their songs in FL Studio

i've been learning abit from their basist so i would give it a try, i first used Cubase 5 and still have that installed.
Send me the kick and i'll try doing my best, if i can't get it right. i will contact you :D did u get the mail?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've sent them now, hope they works.

That song is pretty beastly mixed, very heavy influenced both in music and production wise to Asking Alexandria imo. Of course you can get some good results with FL regardless of what music you produce, but it would probably be a lot easier and practical if you used something liked Reaper or Pro Tools. I've tried Cubase myself but i felt it was over complicated with things that is so much easier with Reaper. But if you feel that FL works for you, you should probably stick with it :)

I've sent them now, hope they works.

That song is pretty beastly mixed, very heavy influenced both in music and production wise to Asking Alexandria imo. Of course you can get some good results with FL regardless of what music you produce, but it would probably be a lot easier and practical if you used something liked Reaper or Pro Tools. I've tried Cubase myself but i felt it was over complicated with things that is so much easier with Reaper. But if you feel that FL works for you, you should probably stick with it :)

Already tested the kick and the .nki worked great! thank you so much, i'll try doing my best on the mixing and stuff. i'll post it later and see if you hear any difference :D

Sweet, the kick will sound pretty crappy if u dont EQ though, as everything else :p Try to scoop out the mids and boost the low end and high end for presence, then u will have the Joey Sturgis kick pretty much :)

Sweet, the kick will sound pretty crappy if u dont EQ though, as everything else :p Try to scoop out the mids and boost the low end and high end for presence, then u will have the Joey Sturgis kick pretty much :)

did some more mixing, here's some result now. please help me more if you can, have been learning alot from you! :)

Hehe FL Studio is not really made for creating this kind of music what i know of.

Be grateful the Gujukal said this in such a nice way. 90% of the people on here would've ripped you a new one for saying that.

I think the idea is really cool. I love synthy breakdowns. I definitely think you need a different snare or something. It has way to much reverb on it. Maybe try humanizing the cymbals too. There are some places on UM that you can find amazing samples for free. Like Erkan's samples are the best. Try some of them and just throw them in there, it'll sound a lot more natural.

Oh I'm sorry, haha! Thought i did :Spin:
Here we go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/h9t01yyxqe3981r/MIXXX2.mp3

The kick sounds a lot better, could need better EQing though. The snare has way too much reverb imo, it could work in some part of the song maybe in a breakdown but not the whole song.

The main problem with this song in my opinion is the synth part in the beginning with the guitar. That guitar riff sounds sweet but the synth thing doesn't fit imo. So i would try to come up with some synth part sounded more in the right key of the guitar so they fit more together.

Be grateful the Gujukal said this in such a nice way. 90% of the people on here would've ripped you a new one for saying that.

I think the idea is really cool. I love synthy breakdowns. I definitely think you need a different snare or something. It has way to much reverb on it. Maybe try humanizing the cymbals too. There are some places on UM that you can find amazing samples for free. Like Erkan's samples are the best. Try some of them and just throw them in there, it'll sound a lot more natural.

hehe, he is very nice so i'm grateful! :D i know that FL Studio isn't really for this kind of music but i have mostly worked with that software so i know more about effects and stuff, never really understood how to put an effect on a track at an specific time.
Thanks man, i'll take away some of that reverb! you mean that i'll try the cymbals in the "Erkan's samples" ? :)

The kick sounds a lot better, could need better EQing though. The snare has way too much reverb imo, it could work in some part of the song maybe in a breakdown but not the whole song.

The main problem with this song in my opinion is the synth part in the beginning with the guitar. That guitar riff sounds sweet but the synth thing doesn't fit imo. So i would try to come up with some synth part sounded more in the right key of the guitar so they fit more together.

Thank you so much with all this help, i will certainly take away some of that reverb and try to EQ the kick better. The synth part will be hard but hey, who said creating music was easy! :) cheers! if you want i can link the song process later on if intrested?

hehe, he is very nice so i'm grateful! :D i know that FL Studio isn't really for this kind of music but i have mostly worked with that software so i know more about effects and stuff, never really understood how to put an effect on a track at an specific time.
Thanks man, i'll take away some of that reverb! you mean that i'll try the cymbals in the "Erkan's samples" ? :)

Humanization when it refers to MIDI drums means editing velocities and placements of notes and hits so that they're closer to a real performance - i.e. placing lots of hits slightly off-grid, lots of variations in hit velocities (just like a real drummer), ghost hits, things like that. I've heard of a lot of people doing this, but I like to just bang around on my e-drum kit (or air drum if you don't have one) to see what the actual drumming performance might be like and how I can translate that to MIDI.

Humanization when it refers to MIDI drums means editing velocities and placements of notes and hits so that they're closer to a real performance - i.e. placing lots of hits slightly off-grid, lots of variations in hit velocities (just like a real drummer), ghost hits, things like that. I've heard of a lot of people doing this, but I like to just bang around on my e-drum kit (or air drum if you don't have one) to see what the actual drumming performance might be like and how I can translate that to MIDI.

Yeah that was very smart, could actually work pretty good! Thanks for that advice! :D