Help

drache_gnar

New Metal Member
Sep 3, 2005
I posted thisyesterday, but I didn't get a reply.

I'm on a strict budgest, and need good tools to record guitars, bass and vocals.
I've been using Amplitube for a while now, but I'm not happy with the tone. It alwayssounds underwater, and not clear at all. I'm recording straight into my soundcard and adding effects through the Amplitube program in Cool Edit Pro.

I also have a Digitech GNX 1, and would like to try and record direct into my computer, put it always has a scratchy, over distorted tone. What would I need to make this more realistic? Some sort of amp simulator (maybe Amplitube?) or a preamp or something?
Maybe just an EQ pedal?

Whatwuold you guys suggest on a budget?

Thanks
Ben

Well, i know i have heard some really good tones with amplitube, you might want to check out http://www.thehotplate.com for amplitube tones on there.. there are as some really good ones, see if that works out for ya...

If that fails, it might be worth it looking into a POD XT... i have heard so many kick ass tones from all kinds of styles, i can't count them anymore... if you could find one on ebay or somewhere else, then your set with something really good for a digital amp simulator... plus, you can easily hook up your bass on the XT as well...

Really, i don't know what they cost new now, but the XT is more then worth it's price.. just have a look on this forum, guys on this board have donated their tones here, and made some kickass songs with these tones... have a look and listen to it yourself...

Goodluck!

You did get a reply dude. And if you replied to that reply.. that topic would be at the top and you wouldn't need to post a new one! oh well..

EDIT: (I was beaten to the punch) but anyway..
Have you thought about a POD or V-Amp..something like that? Software amp sims seem to be getting all thumbs down.

Actually.. I had to live with a GNX1 for a few months, not too long ago. I think it's really not too shabby once you figure out how to set it up right. It has many cab sim options, and being able to blend 2 different amps is cool. Plus there's mega tweakability with the EQ(all sweep-able). As with anything, you've gotta spend some time learning your way around equipment.. especially stuff like this we're there's so many variables.

If you list some of the amp models in the GNX, I'll try to recall what worked for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

My GNX1 sounds awesome thoruhg my amp, but I can't get it to sound goodwhen I record direct into a computer. I'm sure if I spent a lot of time I could get it, though.

And, really sorry about posting this twice. I couldn't find the otherone, for some reason. I thought it didn't get through.

Sorry and Thanks!

I just listened to some demos I did when I was using the GNX, and yeah.. it was actually the mic'd cab sounds that made me like the thing. I was running it through a solid state power amp, into a 4x12. Recorded with a sm58 into a 4-track.

I know I did get ok sound direct though. Definitely gotta wind the gain down of course. There's a point where it totally over saturates itself.. then still keeps going well beyond that.
I remember I used totally different models for direct, the patch for the 4x12 never worked like that.

Amplitube or Another Software progrm might help you out in the Cabinet department.

Since getting the advice here using NI guitar rigs cab section and not its preamp. I already notice an improvement in my direct tone.

Stick with your GNX and try adding some Cabinte simulators from Amplitube, Ampfarm or Guitar Rig.

Yes and PULL BACK ON THE GAIN !!!!!! Thats a big one.
Da Fukn Guru