Recommend me a preamp for recording vocals!!

MegaMustaine

Apr 7, 2006
So recently I've been using the headphone out of an old alesis mixer. I've been running my sm7b through it for fairly good results. But for whatever reason, I'm now getting buzzing on my input, and the setup is fairly weak anyways.

So, what do I need to record my mic into my pc for good results? I'm fairly sure its a preamp, but what specific kind? I would almost prefer I could run a preamp into my pod, using the pod as a blank signal, so I don't have to switch my soundcard everytime I want to record vox.

I have SPL Track One and I've been more than happy with it. It can provide more gain than you'll propably ever need. 65+20+5.5 dB, which totals to +90dB gain boost. So if that is not enough for ya, then the problem is somewhere else.

Oh yeah, and it also has a de-esser, compressor and an eq.

TrackOne_1500.jpg

More info on the VTB-1 and the SPL plz! I'm looking for something fairly cheap, and after googling both those products...i really found little info.

Anyone had any experience with the Focusrite Voice Master Pro? I was looking at maybe getting one of those in the future.

I have used the VMP, it's got that signature Focusrite Platinum series thin-ness to it. But it works.

I'm very interested in that SPL unit...thanks for throwin' that up ahj! Any other cool outboard you have laying around that I should know about? :lol:

~006

Looks like the SPL unit retails for about $800US average :( A bit much thurrr. Worth it?

~006