Looking to upgrade my recording setup, any suggestions?

cobhc said:
Well just don't get like the mbox or something like that where you're tied down to one piece of software for mixing/editing. Maybe the m-audio delta 10/10LT might be a choice, since you're using an external preamp anyway, it's cheapish, has spdif, midi and quite a few features, and you can use it with pro tools m powered and also use the two mic preamps it has for micing up something else. But again, this is my opinion, I don't know who else will agree with me, but I have this card and it seems good enough to me. Again, I am doing like you are, amateurish demo's and just recording guitar and it seems good enough to me. And another thing, why specifically do you want to upgrade, do you think you've got the most out of your dmp3 as you can? Or is it mainly the stock soundcard thats bogging you down?

Not sure man, I would think it's mostly the soundcard, and somewhat the preamp. I used to be real happy with my Engl Blackmore recordings, but ever since I sold that amp, I haven't got a recorded tone I like. I used to use V30 loaded cabs, now I have V30's mixed with G12T75's and I swear, even when I just mic up a V30, the G12T75 is throwing something off, because it doesn't sound the same as an all V30 cab. Oh and I've also been looking into the Sennheiser MD421 mic, it seems great, but is pretty expensive.

You have to really have an ear to use a 421 though, it has a pretty pronounced mid-scoop sound to it compared to a 609, i5, or SM57. So you have to be careful using that mic or else you're stuck with not a lot to work with.

~006

006 said:
You have to really have an ear to use a 421 though, it has a pretty pronounced mid-scoop sound to it compared to a 609, i5, or SM57. So you have to be careful using that mic or else you're stuck with not a lot to work with.

~006

Is it as picky with mic position as the SM57 is?

Mark_Palangio said:
Not sure man, I would think it's mostly the soundcard, and somewhat the preamp. I used to be real happy with my Engl Blackmore recordings, but ever since I sold that amp, I haven't got a recorded tone I like. I used to use V30 loaded cabs, now I have V30's mixed with G12T75's and I swear, even when I just mic up a V30, the G12T75 is throwing something off, because it doesn't sound the same as an all V30 cab. Oh and I've also been looking into the Sennheiser MD421 mic, it seems great, but is pretty expensive.

All i was trying to get at, is if you're only doing amateurish stuff, you might not need anything higher quality than the dmp3, and you could spend $200 on a soundcard, and save the rest for some nicer mic's, or something else, it's been discussed here a lot that if you are only doing home recordings you should try to exhaust your preamp before you upgrade, work with it and get things sounding awesome on there, then upgrade, and you'll really notice the change.

imho you should save more than $200.00 for a soundcard. you will probably want more sooner than you think and youll have spent the two hundred for nothing really. get a 57 or an i5 for under $100 instead of the 421 and put the rest of the money towards the soundcard. either of those mics will get you a great recording tone(probably better than a 421 imho). the motu ultralite would be a good choice or an mbox just for an interface. alot of people also have firepods and are pretty happy with them. a firepod would probably be a decent solution for you. eight preamps wouldnt be bad.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I bought a used Mbox2 off of a buddy of mine. I got a good price on it and it seems to be what I'm looking for. Can't wait to test it out. :headbang: