Henri Bergson

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
A most interesting modern French philosopher, who won the nobel prize and did much to refute Kant, and inaugurate a new era of existentialism. He essentially renounced the method and notion that logic is an adequate measure of what can or cannot be. As he said, "TO GIVE UP THE LOGIC, squarely and irrevocably" as a method, for he found that "reality, life, experience, concreteness, immediacy, use what word you will, exceeds our logic, overflows, and surrounds it."

His interest in time and free will, is also something worthy of discussion. Time and Free Will is one of Bergson's most interesting and famous works which included his idea of the duree (Real Time) and the spatialization of time. Bergson presents to the reader an energetic flux which is the precondition of our more vulgar concept of time. With this flux, the past is pulled along by the future and presented to consciousness in the present as a heterogeneous conglomeration, inseperable and uncategorizable. It is this work which inspired the stream of consciousness novelists, especially Proust. But the most remarkable element of Time and Free Will is its demand on the reader to live the duree, to return to the duree and forget oneself in it. The goal is freedom and authenticity and this can only be achieved when letting oneself go, flying like a bird, and despatializing time.

Hence, I was wondering as to any reaction to his ideas on time and logic. I suppose if anyone would like to know more about his myriad of ideas, this is a decent place to start: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/bergson/

Regarding time and free will, I feel drawn an idea that the past, present and future all already exist. It is like a swirling intricate pattern, and all events are already there. We may think we have free will but actually it is all decided. Have you heard of how a butterfly flapping its wings on one side of the world sets off a series of consequences resulting in there being a hurricane on the other side of the world? It's an idea of everything being connected. Things appear chaotic to us, but in fact the order is precise. Is what I am describing something to do with string theory? It is a mind-blowing thing to try and imagine anyway!
No one should give up logic.

What you're describing is the "butterfly effect" and "deterministic chaos".

It would be very difficult to predict based on this because a dynamically instable system is sensitive to minute conditions, which a model wouldn't be able to account for. That is why the system seems "chaotic."

edit: if you want to research this, it is called "chaos theory." actually, it is quite interesting.

I don't have much to say only that the possibility of free will has always been difficult for me to accept, especially when I've always considered every action a consequent of prior actions.

Maybe someone here who believes we have free will can explain some of their reasoning?