Here we go again, another criticize my mix thread

The snare seems to lack body and life. The playing is good and all, but I think the entire mix is a bit dull and lifeless. Maybe you should re-record with a more-in-the-face guitar tone?

i've been having problems with the snare for a while, anyone have any tips? i'm using andy's sample mixed 50/50 with the pearl2 snare from dfhs.

i'll just type it

Pearl 2 Snare From DFHS

Drumagog 50% with Andy's Snare

Pro Tools Gate With Sidechained Snare Nudged -10ms - Threshold=-20db Attack=.00ms Hold=50ms Decay=100ms Range=-80db

Waves RComp - Attack=5 Release=5 Threshold=-40 Ratio=2

Waves REQ +6 at 400hz 0.6Q and +12 at 8khz 0.6Q

Pro Tools D-Verb Medium Room Mix=30% Decay=1.6s

Is that enough info?

Here are some thing to try that might not work, but are worth trying.

Lower threshold (numbers going down) but higher ratio,

Using all cuts on the snare, by boosting very thinly and then sweeping around till you find nastyness, then cutting it.

Plate reverb.

That's just some things I do. So maybe they'll help, maybe not. :)

Hey cobhc!

You kinda butchered those drumsounds ... I think you'd get a much better drumtone if you'd just load up the full Sonor kit in DFHS and don't change anything on the EQ. This one just has no life at all and no body.

The snare sounds like you only used the top mic. There's no fullness, you need to bring that out.

Kick sounds alright. Clicky, but okay.

Which toms did you use? Cause they just go pok pok instead of BOOM.

Guitar is out of tune (as was stated before) and that tone is very weak. What amp is that? I don't hear any bass at all ... if there is one, it's too low in the mix.

Cheers
Sami

Toms were the Sonar DFHS ones, amp was my krank dist pedal into my peavey poweramp, i'm still fucking with the tone, as i've just restrung with much thicker strings, so i'm losing some presence in there. Yeah, i guess i kinda did butcher the drums.

Edit: I'm not a very big fan of your drums on the metallica drumsound thread, it sounds very thin to my ears seems to have way to much mids in there.

no, he's right about it all, i'm working on sorting out those problems right now :)

and sorry about the dig i made at your drums smy, just not my taste in sound.