here's a music question

FuSoYa

Lunarian
Nov 9, 2001
Brooklyn
lifesci.ucsb.edu
If I'm writing something off rhythm, and I am REALLLY tempted to have the off-rhythm meld into a 3/4 rhythm and finish up that way, am I being tempted because that's what's natural for the piece, or just because I have heard so much 3/4 stuff / been brainwashed so that it *seems* natural?

Well, in my mind it's pulling me towards this 3/4 thing but I also genuinely feel that it's not right for the piece. Unfortunately the piece's own mind is trying to settle into this 3/4 b.s. I think exciar is on the mark.

Any time you "feel" something, you're using your learned skills and experiences to judge it, even if you're using them unconsciously. If a piece "feels" right, it's because you are making an informed judgment that it adheres to your criteria of rightness in some way. When people say "go with your gut", that's wise advice, because your "gut" is simply your years of expertise and experience generating a response.

So, in a word, yes, both of your "either/or"s are true.

i'm not a critic, i'm an arteeeeeest!

82095.jpg

is it because it seems natural or because you want done with the piece and that's an easier way to finish it? i'm the king of lazy, so for me it'd be the last one. (and yes, i'm totally calling you lazy. HA!)

B00006LSM3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and i'm totally brainwashed.

btw, anyone ever seen Adaptation? i love that movie.
ps: i still feel sick.

i find myself writing shorter pieces lately because of that.

and i have now decided to purchase Adaptation. i found myself insisting to gf that i was screenwriter #1 in a slightly less portly visage, especially when he repeatedly neurotically doubts everything he creates.