My band has some problems

Vimana

Mar 2, 2007
My band

1) We have no name, and whenever a name is suggested no one can agree on it.

2) We have no drummer because our member with a drumset is going to play bass.

3) Our rhythm guitarist isn't good enough yet to play rhythm guitar.

4) One of our band members complains of us having no songs when I suggested that we should all write stuff and put it together.

5) We say we have no songs a lot and I am the only one who tries to do anything about it.

So if you can possibly help me with any of these problems it would be appreciated

1) You don't need a name. You have no songs, and no full band.
2) Yeah everybody needs a drummer.
3) Tell him to practice, or get somebody else.
4) You don't have a drummer, and you don't have a rythm guitarist. Therefore, uhhh you'll probably have to rely on one or two persons writing all the parts.
5) You want to be in this band why?

^Truth.

If you want, you can become the leader and organize things and do things until the others start getting more into it. Make a song and tell them to play it...

^Truth.

If you want, you can become the leader and organize things and do things until the others start getting more into it. Make a song and tell them to play it...

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I already have a good riff and all, all I need is a good intro, chorus and lyrics.

1) You don't need a name. You have no songs, and no full band.
2) Yeah everybody needs a drummer.
3) Tell him to practice, or get somebody else.
4) You don't have a drummer, and you don't have a rythm guitarist. Therefore, uhhh you'll probably have to rely on one or two persons writing all the parts.
5) You want to be in this band why?

In response to 5 we have a really talented keyboardist, thats one reason. We can make do without a rhythm guitarist 'til he's good enough, we can do songs that don't need drums until we get a drummer.

I've found that in almost every project I've been in, there's always one person who assumes the leader role (mostly because no one else wants the responsibility) and serves to galvanize the rest. If trying to motivate your guys into action hasn't worked out, there's a pretty good chance they don't have a serious commitment to making it work. If you can find some other musicians, then try working with them. It almost always seems like there is "nobody" who plays that instrument you need, but if you branch out, go to shows and meet people, you almost always realize that the musician's community is a lot larger that you'd expect.

Wish you luck man.

I think the solution we need is a band meeting where we just jam, and focus on music, we have had only a couple band meetings with all members but nothing got done.

unfourtunetly this will always happen unless your all really dedicated to it. when you have a group of people someone in the group is always bound to be a slacker and stuff will always go wrong

honestly if its that much trouble then i'd suggest leaving, but if you refuse then your the one thats going to have to work extra hard to pull everything together. if it's only one person then find someone more dedicated to replace him. If your dedicated to really "making it big" then replacing someone isnt the worst thing you'll ever do. Other than that just stay determined, trying giving the group reasons to do stuff. Idk motivation worked for me when i was in the situation you are in

unfourtunetly this will always happen unless your all really dedicated to it. when you have a group of people someone in the group is always bound to be a slacker and stuff will always go wrong

honestly if its that much trouble then i'd suggest leaving, but if you refuse then your the one thats going to have to work extra hard to pull everything together. if it's only one person then find someone more dedicated to replace him. If your dedicated to really "making it big" then replacing someone isnt the worst thing you'll ever do. Other than that just stay determined, trying giving the group reasons to do stuff. Idk motivation worked for me when i was in the situation you are in

Yeah, I never thought of that. I'm gonna try making a song, have them play it, and taking all the credit of the song. Therefore they will feel like they haven't done anything (which they haven't) and try to help me, so for other songs they will help.

If you write a song, you don't need to "take all the credit" for anything.
In Australia, anyone who writes a song that gets recorded or played live, even at a school or something, should become a member of APRA. Whoever wrote the song gets full credit and if it's played live you got songwriting royalties i.e MONEY for performing the song that you have written.

If your band gets $100 each for a gig, and you wrote every song the band played, then you will get the $100 plus any songwriting royalties. Isn't it everyone's plan to get more than the other guy? be smart about it and find out about any unions or associations that you can join in order to facilitate performance and songwriting royalties be paid to you when your band finally does get it's act together.

When you record an album, the band as a whole gets a certain amount of money for every copy sold, then individual members get a certain amount of money for playing on the album. And then, any member who's songs were recorded get an additional amount of money, so dude, write your songs and make the other guys play them, you;ll end up with more than them and that should be a reward for putting up with their half arsed attitude.

If you write a song, you don't need to "take all the credit" for anything.
In Australia, anyone who writes a song that gets recorded or played live, even at a school or something, should become a member of APRA. Whoever wrote the song gets full credit and if it's played live you got songwriting royalties i.e MONEY for performing the song that you have written.

If your band gets $100 each for a gig, and you wrote every song the band played, then you will get the $100 plus any songwriting royalties. Isn't it everyone's plan to get more than the other guy? be smart about it and find out about any unions or associations that you can join in order to facilitate performance and songwriting royalties be paid to you when your band finally does get it's act together.

When you record an album, the band as a whole gets a certain amount of money for every copy sold, then individual members get a certain amount of money for playing on the album. And then, any member who's songs were recorded get an additional amount of money, so dude, write your songs and make the other guys play them, you;ll end up with more than them and that should be a reward for putting up with their half arsed attitude.

Fuck Yeah! And I wouldn't say they half ass. Some of them quarter ass.

I think the solution we need is a band meeting where we just jam, and focus on music, we have had only a couple band meetings with all members but nothing got done.
I think that's called jamming. Most active bands do it like once a week. How else did you expect to get this whole thing going if you never see each other?

i'm one of this band's members.

actually i'm the guy who can't commit to either drums or bass.
so eh...i know i need to get lessons and such but until then i don't know what else to do, besides pretending to play or something.

^ :lol:

F&F: That's great to get the band motivated and become the "leader" but be prepared for some resentment. It is bound to happen. But the band can't really mature without somebody or several people pushing the band towards advancement. It is usually the perfectionist of the group that gets stuck in that position. I can speak from experience. But always keep shit positive, set goals, and practice together as much as possible. If you don't do these three things the band will fail.
Best of luck to both you guys.

I dont think the problem is leadership or determination I think thats its youve started a band with people who cant play their instruments. Youve got a guy who cant play rythm guitar and a guy who cant play bass/drums. Am I right in thinking its just you and the keyboardist who can play? Thats not really a band. You can't expect to go up to someone who has been playing for a week and expect them to play or create songs. In the beggining learning how to play is incredibly difficult. My advice is to find some new band mates who have some more experiance while your friends advance.

If Ive got this completly wrong about this and your bandmates are just idiots my advice is to find some new bandmates who have more experiance and mutrity. Theres no point trying to galvanise people into making something they dont want to do cause its just gonna sound terrible.

band name: My Living Groom

Seriously, just practice a lot, don't expect an overnight miracle when it comes ot instruments, it takes a while.

My band

1) We have no name, and whenever a name is suggested no one can agree on it.

2) We have no drummer because our member with a drumset is going to play bass.

3) Our rhythm guitarist isn't good enough yet to play rhythm guitar.

4) One of our band members complains of us having no songs when I suggested that we should all write stuff and put it together.

5) We say we have no songs a lot and I am the only one who tries to do anything about it.

So if you can possibly help me with any of these problems it would be appreciated

1. Think about it more when you get songs :p
2. So let him play bass, its what he wants to do. You can find other drummers
3. Fire him?
4. There's a reason they invented the middle finger.
5. So stop whining and be like, MOTHERFUCKERS WE'RE PLAYING THIS. or just play covers, totally nothing wrong with that. or get new members :p. And i mean theres nothing wrong with just taking one friend who really owns at their instrument and having a 2 person jam session until you find other members. Post audition offerings at local music stores etc.